The minute we saw the Super Smash Bros. logo pop up on the screen for yesterday’s Nintendo Direct, many of us assumed this meant we were most likely getting a deluxe edition of Super Smash Bros. for the Wii U, because Nintendo already did this kind of thing once with Mario Kart 8 on the Switch. Turns out, this is not the case at all! Following the insanity on social media after the announcement was made, Masahiro Sakurai took to Twitter to confirm he is indeed working on a new version of the game.
A translated version of the post below says “I am still at the stage of just announcing the title, but I keep silent and working day by day.” While he didn’t confirm that he was directing this version, it does, however, prove that this isn’t just an updated port of the game from another version. Which means awesome things ahead for those of us who were hoping for a new game altogether, but possible chaos for the Smash Bros. community who will now have to create all new tournaments and relearn characters on a different console.
Are you excited to see a new Super Smash Bros. title on the Nintendo Switch? Or do you wish it was a remake of a previous version?
— 桜井 政博 (@Sora_Sakurai) March 8, 2018
- Two Characters Possibly Returning to Super Smash Bros. and New Story Mode
- The New Super Smash Bros. Will Be at E3 This Year
- Xbox's Phil Spencer Says They're Down for Banjo-Kazooie to Appear in Super Smash Bros.
- Super Smash Bros. Announced for Nintendo Switch, and It's Coming This Year
- Geralt Could be Stepping Out of The Witcher and Into Another Upcoming Game This Year
- Netflix Orders Superhero Movie 'Past Midnight' with Keanu Reeves in Talks to Star
- From The Rumor Mill: Is There A Super Smash Bros. Game Coming In 2018?
- The Smash Community is Currently Embroiled in Debate over Bayonetta
- Ghost Recon: Wildlands’ Latest Update Includes a Rainbow Six Siege Crossover - July 20, 2018
- EA Sports Releases New “Physical” Trailer for NHL 19 - July 20, 2018
- Deep Silver Reveals Release Date and Details for Pathfinder: Kingmaker - July 20, 2018
- Epic Games Issues New Challenges for Fortnite’s One-Year Anniversary - July 20, 2018
- Stardew Valley Will Finally Get Multiplayer on PC in August - July 20, 2018