Jon Favreau is set to write and executive produce a live action Star Wars TV series to air on Disney’s upcoming digital streaming service. The announcement was made earlier today by Star Wars.com.
While information is scant and hard to come by this early in the process, LucasFilm president Kathleen Kennedy had this to say:
I couldn’t be more excited about Jon coming on board to produce and write for the new direct-to-consumer platform. Jon brings the perfect mix of producing and writing talent, combined with a fluency in the Star Wars universe. This series will allow Jon the chance to work with a diverse group of writers and directors and give Lucasfilm the opportunity to build a robust talent base.
Last month, Disney CEO Bob Iger confirmed that the new Disney streaming service would feature multiple Star Wars shows and new Marvel shows. The Star Wars movies will be exclusive to the new service, along with Marvel films and a Muppets reboot, amongst others.
Jon Favreau is no stranger to the Disney family, having helped craft the budding Marvel Cinematic Universe in the early days as director of Iron Man and Iron Man 2. And of course later as an executive producer of the Iron Man and Avengers films for Marvel Studios. There was also the massively successful The Jungle Book retelling.
Jon is pretty excited about this Star Wars project, saying:
If you told me at 11 years old that I would be getting to tell stories in the Star Wars universe, I wouldn’t have believed you. I can’t wait to embark upon this exciting adventure.
We’ll update if any more information becomes available on this breaking story, but more than likely we won’t hear anything for awhile, as the streaming service is in the early stages of platform development.
- Jon Favreau Says [SPOILER] Is In Avengers: 4
- Classic Disney Film Lady and the Tramp to Get Live-Action Remake Treatment
- Groot and Rocket Are the Latest Avengers: Infinity War Hot Toys Announced
- Stranger Things Faves Dustin and Lucas on Their Way from McFarlane
- Star Wars Villain Jabba the Hutt Joins Sideshow Collectibles' Sixth Scale Figure Line
- DC Collectibles and Sideshow Announce New Partnership
- Disney Plans The Muppets Reboot for New Streaming Service
- Trump's Biggest Media Play Yet? Disney, Fox, Warner Bros., Universal's Problems Have Just Begun
- First Details of Disney's Streaming Service Emerge, Include New Marvel and Star Wars Live Action Series
- Bob Iger Confirms "A Few" Star Wars TV Shows For Disney Streaming Service
- Former Apple, Samsung Exec to Head Disney's Streaming Netflix-Competing Service
- All the Glorious Science Fiction TV You Can (and Should) Watch This Year
- Disney Working On New Live-Action Star Wars And Marvel TV Series, Plus Monsters Inc. And High School Musical
- Disney's 'Movies Anywhere' Digital Service Adds Four Major Studios
- In Goodbye Post for X-Men Red, Tom Taylor Says He Could Have Written Series for Years - December 12, 2018
- Marvel Unlimited Comes Into the Spider-Verse With Peter Porker: The Spectacular Spider-Ham - December 12, 2018
- Is Tom Taylor Planning to Kill the DC Universe? - December 12, 2018
- Mark Bagley and Chip Zdarsky Launch a Mini-Series Where Spider-Man Ages in Real Time - December 12, 2018
- That Time Bruce Wayne Teamed Up With Donald Trump… In Real Life?! - December 12, 2018