It’s Monday, and right on schedule, another mainstream media outlet has “discovered” the next inductee into WWE’s Hall of Fame. Hillbilly Jim will join the star-studded class that also includes heavy-pooping former WCW star Bill Goldberg, decorated tag team champs The Dudley Boyz, women’s wrestling pioneer Ivory, country music singer and karatbar mogul Jeff Jarrett, and someone unrelated to wrestling added as part of the weird award where WWE tries to garner praise for its humanitarian efforts under the name of The Ultimate Warrior, a wrestler well known for his bigoted public speaking career during the years when he was away from WWE but presented after his death as some kind of spiritual hero.
Though this, like all the past Hall of Fame announcements, are basically press releases from WWE, the idea is to pretend that the mainstream media cares so deeply about WWE that they send their investigative reporters to figure out who is going in the Hall of Fame next, with the discoveries always happening on a Monday, before Monday Night Raw.
This week, it was Bleacher Report who “reported” Hillbilly Jim’s upcoming induction. Though Hillbilly Jim was never a champion in WWE, he was a well-known colorful character from its ’80s boom period. He also briefly managed the tag team The Godwinns during the 1990s, and served in a behind-the-scenes role for the company’s home video department. Hillbilly Jim also appeared on the short-lived WWE Network reality show, Legend House. The WWE Hall-of-Fame induction will take place on WrestleMania weekend.
- BOOM! Studios and Natalie Nourigat Want to Teach You How to Break Into Animation - May 25, 2018
- Image Offers Unsold C2E2 Analog #1 Variants Now That It’s Being Adapted for Film - May 25, 2018
- Walking Dead Collectible Sparks Racism Controversy at North Carolina Credit Union - May 25, 2018
- Nikki Bella Wins $15,000 for Red Nose Day Charity on American Ninja Warrior - May 25, 2018
- Look Inside Archie Comics’ Superteens Vs. Crusaders Crossover and Learn How to Preorder It - May 25, 2018