It’s Monday, and right on schedule, another mainstream media outlet has “discovered” the next inductee into WWE’s Hall of Fame. Hillbilly Jim will join the star-studded class that also includes heavy-pooping former WCW star Bill Goldberg, decorated tag team champs The Dudley Boyz, women’s wrestling pioneer Ivory, country music singer and karatbar mogul Jeff Jarrett, and someone unrelated to wrestling added as part of the weird award where WWE tries to garner praise for its humanitarian efforts under the name of The Ultimate Warrior, a wrestler well known for his bigoted public speaking career during the years when he was away from WWE but presented after his death as some kind of spiritual hero.
Though this, like all the past Hall of Fame announcements, are basically press releases from WWE, the idea is to pretend that the mainstream media cares so deeply about WWE that they send their investigative reporters to figure out who is going in the Hall of Fame next, with the discoveries always happening on a Monday, before Monday Night Raw.
This week, it was Bleacher Report who “reported” Hillbilly Jim’s upcoming induction. Though Hillbilly Jim was never a champion in WWE, he was a well-known colorful character from its ’80s boom period. He also briefly managed the tag team The Godwinns during the 1990s, and served in a behind-the-scenes role for the company’s home video department. Hillbilly Jim also appeared on the short-lived WWE Network reality show, Legend House. The WWE Hall-of-Fame induction will take place on WrestleMania weekend.
- Hulu to Adapt Giannis Milonogiannis’s Old City Blues with Kerry Washington Starring, Gore Verbinski Directing - August 14, 2018
- Marvel Reveals Uncanny X-Men #1 Cover by Leinil Francis Yu and Edgar Delgado - August 14, 2018
- Dark Horse Reveals God of War Comic Book Mini-Series Launching in November - August 14, 2018
- That Time Vince McMahon Paid a Vampire to Spray Fake Blood on Donald Trump - August 14, 2018
- Old Spice: Gambit Gets a New Codename from Deadpool in Mr. and Mrs. X #2? - August 14, 2018