As reported not too long ago, McDonald’s brought back the Szechuan Sauce for the masses. After the sauce saw a spike in popularity after Rick and Morty brought it up in an episode, a comeback was inevitable. The initial limited release was met with more hostility than a sauce packet should ever start, but oh man. It was entertaining. And now McDonald’s has released the sauce — again — in larger quantities.
It had been years since I’d had this sauce. I do remember the promotion with the Mulan movie, though truth to be told I was more excited about the toys than the sauce. I remember it tasted vaguely like soy sauce, and that was it. So after over a decade of not having what people claim to be the greatest sauce ever, I gave it a try.
Maybe that’s a little harsh, but it’s basically sweetened soy sauce with a hint of teriyaki. That’s it. It went fine on my fries, and I’m sure it tastes fine with chicken nuggets. But this sauce was not worth the intense hype that surrounded it. If you’re feeling nostalgic (or you just really like Rick and Morty) then you should absolutely get a packet. If you’re the rest of the world, this should be a hard pass.
- Just Keep Swimming to Get These Limited-Edition Finding Nemo Pins - July 29, 2018
- Q+A with Matt Ellison, Senior Producer on LEGO DC Super-Villains - July 29, 2018
- War Machine Marketing’s Ro Kohli Talks Pantera Mini Guitars, Custom Toys, and More! - July 29, 2018
- A Perfect Han and Leia Close Out Our Last Cosplay Shots from SDCC 2018 - July 27, 2018
- Barzinga with Bleeding Cool’s Kaitlyn Booth: San Diego Comic-Con Aftermath - July 27, 2018