Disney may not know what it’s everyone-else-is-calling-it-a-Netflix-rival-so-I-guess-I-will-too Netflix rival streaming service is going to be called. Or when it’s set to premiere. Or how much it’s going to cost. But the one thing Disney does know? You can never have too much felt in your streaming diet.
For their direct-to-consumer streaming service to succeed, Disney is going to be leaning hard on remakes, reboots and dragging out any licensed property they own that will get viewer eyeballs to their screens — and viewer money in their pockets. To that end, sources have told The Hollywood Reporter exclusively that The Muppets would be getting their second reboot in the past four years as part of the new service’s programming slate; and that Disney is actively searching for a writer with a new take.
The Muppets Studio was acquired by Disney in 2004, but it would be another eleven years (in 2015) before the studio would attempt to revive Kermit and his crew on the small screen. The series tried to appeal to both families and adults in ways that left both audiences wanting; with the series finally cancelled in 2016.
Disney’s streaming service will concentrate on more family-friendly programming, including: Marvel feature films and series; live-action Star Wars series; a High School Musical reboot; a The Mighty Ducks reboot; a series based on Pixar’s Monsters, Inc. On the film side, Disney is expected to look to films such as 1989’s Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, 1998’s The Parent Trap and 1991’s Father of the Bride for the first round of potential reboots.
- Jon Favreau to Write and Produce Live Action Star Wars TV Series
- Let's Talk About 'Everything Sucks' on Netflix, the '90s Nostalgia Sleeper Hit
- Toy Fair New York: Entertainment Earth is Going Big With Pin Mates, New Site Design This Year
- Toy Fair New York: McFarlane Toys Goes to the Upside Down With Stranger Things
- Toy Fair New York: Mattel Shows off New WWE, Barbie, Batman, Jurassic World, Polly Pocket, and More!
- Taking Confession 304 ‘The Tombs’: Bleeding Cool’s ‘Preacher’ Season 3 Live-Blog! - July 15, 2018
- Showtime Offers 10 Minute Preview of Sacha Baron Cohen’s ‘Who Is America?’ (WATCH HERE) - July 15, 2018
- Preacher Rewind 303: A Look Back at Bleeding Cool’s Thoughts on ‘Gonna Hurt’ - July 15, 2018
- ‘It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia’ Season 13 Gets First Teaser, Key Art - July 13, 2018
- AMC Sets ‘Walking Dead’ Superfan Yvette Nicole Brown as Interim ‘Talking Dead’ Host - July 13, 2018