PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds is seeing improvements in the near future with changes to how the game finds games and how the plane works.
PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds has a bit of a problem when it comes to ping and cheaters. As reported on last week, the vast majority of cheaters come from the China region and the problem has become so bad that it is beginning to spill over into other regions. The suggestion of region locking has been thrown around in the PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds community for a while, but it seems a different solution is on the way.
Today, PUBG Corp. has come out and said that it will be trying to change matchmaking to be more focused on ping. Essentially, this means the game would try to bring players with similar ping levels closer to each other. This would theoretically make a game fairer, while also making it difficult for players in different regions to jump ship to other areas. These changes are said to be coming over the next week, so it shouldn’t be long at all until this is implemented. PUBG Corp said:
Unlike the method considered earlier, we are going to divide the matching pool depending on ping. This means that the users with lower pings will be prioritized during matchmaking. The team is expecting to improve the overall play experience by splitting the matching pool rather than restricting connection depending on ping.
There is a brand-new patch out today on the test servers, too. It’s mostly small fixes, but there is one key change that should be noticeable. To create a better start to a game, you will no longer be able to look into the plane and see how many people are left. Instead, there will now just be a counter telling you exactly how many are left inside. This is a very concrete change and it definitely gives players a lot more information. It will be interesting to see how it changes the drop process, as it could be really influential.
There are a host of smaller fixes and changes, too, so to get caught up, here are the full patch notes:
- Replaced some fences in Miramar to unbreakable fences or walls in order to optimize the client.
- When the player is riding in the airplane, they will no longer be able to see the inside of the airplane. This is to improve the early game client and server performance
- Other players will be visible once they jump out of the airplane
- When riding the airplane, you can check the number of remaining passengers via the new UI element at the bottom left of the screen
- When reporting someone through the replay system, we now receive a one minute replay file centred on the point of your report
- It is impossible to report through a replay file which has been created longer than a week ago
- It is impossible to report the same player multiple times in the same replay file
- Fixed the issue where the player would die from falling when vaulting and climbing
- Fixed the issue where after reconnecting to the game, the player would get a glitched view when using ADS on their weapon
- Fixed the issue where the player didn’t receive any damage after entering a vehicle from a prone position and then exiting while the vehicle was moving
- Fixed the issue where after entering the vehicle (passenger seat) from prone position and using heal/boost items, the player was shown using the items in prone position instead of sitting down
Made changes to prevent the reduced heal/boost time cheat