Black Panther was originally predicted to make $160 million across its entire 4-day Presidents Day weekend opening, but the film has smashed all expectations, making $201.8 million in just three days to become the fifth biggest movie opening of all time, falling just $6 million short of beating Avengers and becoming the second biggest superhero opening of all time. The movie turned out to be part of a sweeping cultural milestone, and Hollywood bean counters were ill-equipped to understand its appeal, even as the weekend rolled out and Black Panther stomped over even Sunday’s late estimates of $192 million in three days. As it currently stands, Black Panther will make more than $235 million in four days, topping the previous record-holder, Deadpool, which earned $152 million.
In the wake of Black Panther’s astonishing (to everyone but Bleeding Cool, who predicted exactly this) box office success, former First Lady Michelle Obama took to Twitter to congratulate everyone involved.
Congrats to the entire #blackpanther team! Because of you, young people will finally see superheroes that look like them on the big screen. I loved this movie and I know it will inspire people of all backgrounds to dig deep and find the courage to be heroes of their own stories.
— Michelle Obama (@MichelleObama) February 19, 2018
“Congrats to the entire #blackpanther team!” the potential future president tweeted. “Because of you, young people will finally superheroes that look like them on the big screen.”
“I lived this movie,” Obama continued, giving the film her personal stamp of approval. “And I know it will inspire people of all backgrounds to dig deep and find the courage to be heroes of their own stories.”
There’s still time to add to Black Panther’s four-day total, provided you can find a ticket available today.
- Toy Fair New York: 140+ Shots From the LEGO Booth! Star Wars, Minecraft, Jurassic World, and More!
- Ronda Rousey to Face Mickie James on WWE European Tour - April 23, 2018
- Dark Horse to Publish ‘Mob Psycho 100’ Manga by ONE This Fall - April 23, 2018
- The Undertaker Returns to Comics with New BOOM! Studios Graphic Novel by Chad Dundas and Rodrigo Lorenzo - April 23, 2018
- Get All 17 Volumes of IDW’s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for Less Than $70 This Week on ComiXology - April 23, 2018
- You’ll Die Hard When You See This #CinemaCon2018 Standee for Dwayne Johnson’s Skyscraper - April 23, 2018