If superstar actor and WWE legend Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson weren’t already tied up in the DCEU as Black Adam, he would apparently make a great addition to the Marvel Cinematic Universe as Batroc the Leaper. Just take a look at the posted for The Rock’s upcoming generic disaster movie, Skyscraper, which shows Johnson leaping from an impossibly tall crane platform across an impossible distance toward an impossibly large, burning skyscraper.
The poster doesn’t tell us much about the movie. There will be a titular skyscraper. The Rock will perform amazing, athletic feats of heroism while doing whatever it is he has business doing in said Skyscraper. Then again, that sounds like the entire premise of the movie anyway. More interesting, perhaps, is what the poster can tell us about The Rock’s 2020 presidential aspirations.
Johnson began flirting with a run for president in 2017, even officially launching a joke campaign with Tom Hanks as his running mate on Saturday Night Live. But Johnson has insisted that his aspirations are serious and a run a real possibility. The idea of a pro wrestler with no political experience becoming president would seem like a nightmare scenario under most conditions, but after four years of Donald Trump, also a pro wrestler with no political experience but also no chill, no eloquence, and no morals, The Rock becoming president will probably seem like sweet, blessed relief.
Taking that view, it’s possible to read the Skyscraper poster as a political allegory. Johnson, seeing the flames rising in America, represented by the Skyscraper, leaps from the crane platform, representing his campaign platform of issues (something Trump didn’t have, replacing it with vague sentiments about past glory and racial animus), in an impossible leap of faith that we can somehow pull out of this mess. Hmm, maybe Skyscraper really will be something more than just a mindless, by-the-numbers action flick…
Nah, probably not. Besides, the movie actually takes place in China.
Skyscraper hits theaters in July.
- Skyscraper Review: John McClane Called, He'd Like His Storyline Back
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson's Latest Skyscraper Trailer Is Here!
- Here’s How Retailers Can Get Doug Braithwaite’s Glass Variant Cover for Bloodshot Rising Spirit #1 - August 20, 2018
- Secret Origins of Riverdale Werewolves Revealed in Archie Previews for 8/22 - August 20, 2018
- The Empty Man: Comic Adapted for Film Comes Back to Comics - August 20, 2018
- Todd Nauck Revisits Iconic Image for Return of Wolverine #1 Variant - August 20, 2018
- WWE’s Nia Jax and Luke Gallows, Sitting in a Tree, D-A-T-I-N-G? - August 20, 2018