Call of Duty: WWII reinforced the franchise’s popularity by becoming the best-selling game of 2017.
The talk around Call of Duty over the last few years has been a little sour. Infinite Warfare famously became the most-disliked video in YouTube history, and sales have been trending down somewhere never quite reaching the heights of the best-selling game in the franchise, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2. For some, this has been met with cheers as finding dislike for the franchise on the internet is hardly a tough task
However, according to analysts NPD, there isn’t much to worry about for lovers of the game. While the report hasn’t been posted yet, IGN has seen it and have reported that the game dominated 2017 in sales. It was the best-selling game, which is quite an achievement since it didn’t come out until later in the year. On top of that, it sold the most during December, too — the 8th consecutive December in a row the franchise has reigned over. To go on top of this, spending on all games was up 10% this year, so while we don’t have concrete numbers for how well Call of Duty sold, we can assume they are high. While Activision had claimed the year in US themselves, this is important verification by a third party.
It seems that while every year, more and more people predict Call of Duty will be toppled or burn out, the numbers just aren’t supporting that. It remains the best-selling franchise for nearly a decade now, which is a huge feat. One day, one year, it will run out of steam; but for now, it seems things are more than healthy.
- Call of Duty: WWII Gets a New DLC Trailer Before Launch
- Blizzard Creates Animation of Zenyatta Walking After Fan Request, and It’s the Best - February 23, 2018
- Ryan Coogler Has Been Playing A Lot Of Stardew Valley On Nintendo Switch - February 23, 2018
- Overwatch League Spotlight: Houston Outlaws vs London Spitfire - February 23, 2018
- Crytek’s Hunt: Showdown Gets New Trailer as it Hits Early Access - February 23, 2018
- Metal Gear Survive Charges Money For a New Save Slot - February 23, 2018