At the DC in DC panel “The Aftermath: Battle & Trauma in Comics,” writer Tom King revealed a new upcoming project called Sanctuary about a place where DC heroes can go to deal with the trauma resulting from the violence they’re a part of on a regular basis.
“Every DC Comic is full of violence,” King explained at the panel. “It’s fun and exciting and I enjoy reading about that, but do we talk about the consequences of that, both on the characters and the readers, and they asked me to think about that and do something with it. And we are.”
“It’s called Sanctuary,” he continued. “We’re creating something where it’s sort of like a crisis center for superheroes. It’s gonna be DC-wide, all the superheroes, and it’s gonna be a place where these superheroes who are living violent lives every single day — Batman gets in a fight every single night, five times a night.”
“We’re creating a place superheroes can go that mimics the good work people are doing for veterans around the world,” King explained, “where they can have a space where they can actually admit that this violence has had consequences for them and has affected them mentally, so that your greatest heroes, who are inspiring our children, can say proudly: yes, I’ve had some mental difficulties, and yes, working with people has helped me through them. And we don’t hide behind that.”
King didn’t reveal when the project will be released, but it got a huge response from the crowd at the panel and on social media immediately afterward, so it looks like a lot of people will be anxiously awaiting more information. We’ll keep you posted.
- Hyundai Veloster Lands Key Role in Marvel’s Ant-Man and the Wasp - January 20, 2018
- Will Daniel Bryan Return to the Ring at WWE’s Royal Rumble? - January 20, 2018
- Sasha Banks is the Greatest Women’s Wrestler Ever, Says Sasha Banks - January 20, 2018
- Reed Morano Could Be Star Wars’s First Female Director - January 20, 2018
- With No Snyder Cut, Star Wars: The Last Jedi to End Up with Disappointing $1.3 Billion Box Office - January 20, 2018