Following a whirlwind of negative reports and backlash about his payment for reshoots for All the Money in the World, star Mark Wahlberg has pledged to donate the entire $1.5 million sum to the Time’s Up legal defense fund, which aims to provide money for victims of sexual harassment, sexual assault, and discrimination outside of Hollywood.
Initial reports claimed that both Wahlberg and co-star Michelle Williams performed the reshoots for free in order to replace Kevin Spacey, disgraced by multiple sexual assault accusations, with Christopher Plummer. However, while Williams did indeed work for the minimum allowable fee of $1,000, it was later revealed that Walhberg was paid $1.5 million for the reshoots. Making matters worse, a second report claimed that Wahlberg obtained the money by refusing to agree to replace Spacey with Plummer, using contractual co-star approval, unless he was paid.
Obviously, that didn’t go over very well, so Wahlberg is going to donate all of the money to the Time’s Up movement, in Michelle Williams’s name. Wahlberg said in a statement reported by Deadline:
Over the last few days my reshoot fee for All The Money in the World has become an important topic of conversation. I 100% support the fight for fair pay and I’m donating the $1.5 million to the Time’s Up Legal Defense Fund in Michelle Williams’ name.
Additionally, Deadline reports that Wahlberg’s agency, WME, has agreed to donate an additional $500,000 to the fund after a $1 million donation earlier this month, writing:
The current conversation is a reminder that those of us in a position of influence have a responsibility to challenge inequities, including the gender wage gap. In recognition of the pay discrepancy on All The Money In The World reshoots, WME is donating an additional $500,000 to the Time’s Up Legal Defense Fund in Michelle Williams’ name, following our $1 million pledge to the organization earlier this month. It’s crucial that this conversation continues within our community and we are committed to being part of the solution.
- FX Greenlights 'Fosse/Verdon' With Lin-Manuel Miranda, Sam Rockwell, Michelle Williams
- [UPDATE] Morgan Freeman Accused of Sexual Harassment by 8 Women
- Mark Wahlberg's Six Billion Dollar Man Film Needs A New Director
- Michelle Williams Responds to Mark Wahlberg's $2 Million Time's Up Donation
- Why is Marvel Giving X-Men Fans the Chris Claremont Runaraound? [X-ual Healing 10-10-18] - October 14, 2018
- Doctor Doom Reveals His Thoughts on Gardening in a Preview of Thor #6 - October 14, 2018
- When in Doubt, Make Out! A Mr. and Mrs. X #4 Preview - October 14, 2018
- The Greatest Utility of Mystique’s Powers Revealed in Next Week’s X-Men Black - October 14, 2018
- The Logistics of Human Sacrifice in Next Week’s Runaways #14 - October 14, 2018