Jon Bernthal, the star of Marvel’s The Punisher, had a pointed message for alt-right protesters wearing the Punisher’s skull symbol. Asked by Esquire Magazine about the skull appearing on the shoulders of protestors at the Neo-Nazi march in Charlottesville in 2017, Bernthal didn’t mince words.
“Fuck them!” Bernthal said.
Bernthal was kinder to military service people who wear the skull, saying, “I feel honored to play a guy who people putting their life on the line identify with.”
In the interview, Bernthal didn’t shy away from getting political, saying of gun ownership, “I’m a gun owner. I have a gun in my house to keep my family safe. I’m trained in that gun’s use. I know how to keep it away from my kids, and I know how to use it if I need to.” The Punisher’s Netflix debut was pushed back due to the Las Vegas gun massacre. But he also pointed out that people need to be less extreme in their positions, saying, “Should there be a way that a guy with mental issues like the asshole in Texas can’t get guns? Absolutely. We have to have a dialogue, and that’s not happening.”
Bernthal also alluded to a famous relative, saying of his wife, “My wife is a trauma nurse. She really earned her pay during that time. She comes from a family of champion wrestlers. She understands me.” Erin Angle is the niece of Olympic gold medalist and WWE Hall-of-Famer Kurt Angle.
Read the full interview at Esquire, or pick up their latest issue, featuring Bernthal on the cover and declaring 2018 to be the year of Jon Bernthal, contradicting the upcoming Chinese New Year’s assertion that it will be the year of the dog. Time will tell who was correct.
- Dark Horse Reveals God of War Comic Book Mini-Series Launching in November - August 14, 2018
- That Time Vince McMahon Paid a Vampire to Spray Fake Blood on Donald Trump - August 14, 2018
- Old Spice: Gambit Gets a New Codename from Deadpool in Mr. and Mrs. X #2? - August 14, 2018
- Tom Scioli Preps Liefeld-esque Cover for Go-Bots #1 - August 14, 2018
- BOOM! Reveals Joe Quinones Variant for Firefly Comics Revival on #MalCrushMonday - August 13, 2018