Ali Dorani, better known as Eaten Fish, a cartoonist and refugee from Iran, has spent the last four years on Manus Island, one of Australia’s offshore immigration detention facilities in Papua New Guinea. He took the name after he was rescued from the ocean when the boat carrying him to Australia broke up and sank, and he was rescued.
Fish has documented his experience in comic book form and the Cartoonists Rights Network International awarded him its Courage in Editorial Cartooning award in 2016. He has complained of a lack of healthcare, poor treatment, sexual assaults from other guards and prisoners, triggering his extreme OCD and panic attacks, and went on hunger strike to draw attention to his situation.
His new free status was celebrated by Australian cartoonist First Dog On The Moon, in cartoon form…
- Ron Lim to Join Tini Howard and Chris Sprouse on Captain America Annual #1 - August 16, 2018
- Did You Remember the Town of Lago From Astonishing X-Men Annual #1? - August 16, 2018
- Keith Allen Begins Rehearsals for Hogarth Double Bill Stage Play in Kingston - August 16, 2018
- Uber: Invasion and Cinema Purgatorio in Avatar Press November 2018 Solicits - August 16, 2018
- Matt Brady Returns to Comics, and Somehow Bleeding Cool Has the Scoop - August 16, 2018