Who knew back in 2008 that Iron Man would begin an entire MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe)? True, we didn’t officially get the full established universe until later in the releases, and we can even say it really started with the Wesley Snipes Blade movies, but what a thing Kevin Feige has built, huh?
In 2018, we get arguably the most-anticipated Marvel superhero film, the ultimate crossover flick Avengers: Infinity War. The film is directed by brothers Joe and Anthony Russo — the pair previously helmed MCU titles Captain America: Winter Soldier and Captain America: Civil War, widely accepted as two of the best films in the franchise. The arrival of this giant team-up means many fans are wanting to revisit the rest of the movies in the MCU, and here’s a handy tip for the best order to do that in.
Maybe you’ve seen this graphic running around on Facebook or Twitter, stating if you start watching one film a week starting in January 2018, you’ll end perfectly at the Avengers: Infinity War opening weekend.
In this image, the films are listed in theatrical release order rather than the stories’ chronological timeline, so really you can pick any order you want.
Personally, I think Captain America: The First Avenger should be first, story-wise and timeline-wise, but that’s me. You could also watch everything in Phase order, as Marvel did organize everything into official ‘phases’ for release and story purposes:
Phase 1 included Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor, Captain America: The First Avenger, and Avengers.
Phase 2 was Iron Man 3, Thor 2: The Dark World, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers: Age of Ultron, and Ant-Man.
Phase 3 has Captain America: Civil War, Doctor Strange, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2, Spider-Man: Homecoming, Thor: Ragnarok, Black Panther (due out in February 2018), Avengers: Infinity War (hitting May 2018), Ant-Man and The Wasp (July 2018), Captain Marvel (March 2019), and a yet-untitled fourth Avengers film (May 2019).
There are also two post-Phase 3 films already on the MCU slate, a proposed Guardians 3 film (yes, James Gunn said he’s on board for it), and a Spider-Man sequel starring Tom Holland.
So make that popcorn, gather around the family, and start the MCU marathon.
- Marvel Studios Reveal Official[ish] 10-Year Timeline of MCU Films
- Kevin Feige Says Marvel Makes Movies "We Believe In", Russo Brothers Call It "Grand Narrative Experiment"
- ICYMI, 'Ant-Man And The Wasp' Happens Before 'Avengers: Infinity War'
- The Avengers Played 'Avengers: Infinity War' Family Feud Today
- Kevin Feige Says No Hall H For Marvel At SDCC This Year
- Kevin Feige Says "Immediate Potential" For a Nova Marvel Movie
- Things We Learned From 'Thor: Ragnarok' Special Features
- 'Black Panther' Costume Designer Ruth Carter Talks Wakanda's Influences and Cosplayers
- Brie Larson is "Absolutely Perfect" as Captain Marvel, Says Ben Mendelsohn
- Disneyland Getting Marvel Area, Bug's Life Area Is Closing
- New Avengers: Infinity War TV Spot Promises That 'The End Is Near'
- Captain Marvel: Is Nick Fury Going Full Skrull?
- Black Panther Hits $1 Billion at Global Box Office
- Part 5: Kevin Feige on Everything MCU in New Entertainment Weekly
- Part 4: Kevin Feige on Everything MCU in New Entertainment Weekly
- Part 3: Kevin Feige on Everything MCU in New Entertainment Weekly
- Part 2: Kevin Feige on Everything MCU in New Entertainment Weekly
- Part 1: Kevin Feige on Everything MCU in New Entertainment Weekly
- Target Already Has Black Panther Blu-Ray Listed; So Does Best Buy
- Men in Black Reboot Will Feature New Characters, Maybe Chris Hemsworth
- From Iron Man to Black Panther: Marvel Studios' True Superhero, Casting
- Black Panther Closing in on Incredible $227 Million Opening Weekend
- [SPOILERS] Black Panther: Ryan Coogler Addresses That Infinity Stone Question
- Watch: Black Panther And Dora Milaje Make Debut At Disneyland
- Bleeding Cool Chatter #20: [SPOILERS] All About Black Panther
- Let's Talk About the Women of Black Panther, the Strength and Heart of Wakanda
- 'Ant-Man And The Wasp' Teaser Trailer Is Here
- Disney Released The Official Synopsis for Avengers: Infinity War
- James Gunn Responds to Jodie Foster's Criticism of Superhero Movies
- ‘SUPERMAN THE MOVIE’: Profound Impact Still Felt on 40th Anniversary - December 15, 2018
- ‘Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark’ Coming to Theaters Summer of 2019 - December 14, 2018
- Nightcrawler Looks [badly] Photoshopped in New ‘Dark Phoenix’ Image - December 14, 2018
- Kit Harington’s [Not So Great] Targaryen Skills: Meeting Toothless - December 14, 2018
- Ryan Coogler Talks ‘Black Panther’ Creative Production Team - December 14, 2018