Looks like Netflix is getting into the “sex ed” business; except this time, it’s not birds, bees and uncomfortably (& anatomically) awkward diagrams. We’re talking Sex Education, a coming-of-age comedy/drama series from British producer Eleven Film. Created by newcomer Laurie Nunn (Pregnant Pause) and directed by Ben Taylor (Catastrophe), the series is expected to begin production in the U.K. in Spring 2018 for a 2019 premiere. Eleven Film co-founders Jamie Campbell and Joel Wilson will serve as executive producers.
Netflix’s Sex Education tells the story of Otis Thompson, a socially awkward high school student (and virgin) who lives with his sex therapist mother. He befriends “whip-smart bad-girl” Maeve, and the two devise a plan to set up their own clinic to deal with their fellow students’ weird and wonderful problems.
Taking in ancient rainforests, full moon beach-parties, futuristic Asian mega-cities and remote monasteries in the foothills of the Himalayas, Gap Year is a new, eight-part comedy drama from Tom Basden (Plebs, Fresh Meat, BBC’s forthcoming Quacks).
Gap Year begins with best mates Dylan (Anders Hayward) and Sean (Ade Oyefeso) who set out to backpack through China after Dylan’s split from girlfriend Lauren (Rachel Redford), but they end up travelling the whole continent of Asia after meeting Ashley (Brittney Wilson), Greg (Tim Key) and May (Alice Lee)
The series serves as Eleven Film’s first order from Netflix, with co-founder Campbell finding the streaming service an “exceptional partner;” and that both personally and professionally, he was “thrilled to go on this journey together”. Eleven Film is also the production company responsible for the Hulu and E4 comedy, Gap Year.
“We couldn’t be more excited to partner with the Eleven team, creator Laurie Nunn, and executive producer and director Ben Taylor to bring Sex Education – a distinctive, fresh and witty examination of the universally awkward teenage experience – to our members around the world.”
– Cindy Holland, Vice President of Original Content, Netflix
- Preacher Previews: Cassidy Talks Tulip with Jesse, Unrequited Love with Gran’ma [The Road to Angelville: Bleeding Cool’s ‘Preacher’ Week] - June 22, 2018
- Time’s Up for NBC’s ‘Timeless’ as Network Cancels Series for Second Time - June 22, 2018
- Joseph Gilgun Talks Cassidy, What Makes a Scene Work, and Social Media [The Road to Angelville: Bleeding Cool’s ‘Preacher’ Week] - June 22, 2018
- Paramount Television, Anonymous Content to Adapt Shari Lapena’s Novel ‘The Couple Next Door’ to Series - June 21, 2018
- Preacher: 2 Seasons, 8 “What the ?!?!?” Moments [The Road to Angelville: Bleeding Cool’s ‘Preacher’ Week] - June 21, 2018