Barbie continues to be a more inclusive brand, as we now have the first Barbie to wear a hijab. The doll is modeled after Ibtihaj Muhammad, who was the first competing Olympian to wear a hijab while competing at the Rio 2016 games. She competed in Fencing for Team USA. It is the first such doll in the line’s 58-year history.
The doll was revealed at Glamor’s Women of the Year summit on Monday. It is part of their Shero line of dolls-designed to inspire the next generation of women by celebrating women who are making a difference today. Past women recieving a special Barbie include Ava DuVernay, Emmy Rossum, fellow Olympian Gabby Douglas, Zendaya, and Ashley Graham.
That doll looks just like her! And she certainly seems excited that she is being honored this way.
“I’m excited to just partner with a brand that I know honors powerful women who are breaking barriers and whose sole goal is to impact the future leaders of tomorrow, to be included in this conversation is very humbling and I’m over the moon about this whole thing.
I think its revolutionary for Barbie to take a stand in this moment that we’re in – and I would say, as a country, to have a doll wear a hijab and be the first of its kind,” she says. “There has never been a Barbie doll to wear a hijab before. I’m really excited to have this moment happen in my life and also for all these little girls now who can shop for Barbie doll that may look them, may wear a hijab like they do, or like their mom does, or like a friend does. But also have kids who aren’t Muslim, who don’t wear a hijab, to also have the opportunity to play with a doll that wears a hijab.”
Mattel really crushed this one. The Ibtihaj Muhammad Barbie Shero Barbie doll will be in stores in fall 2018.
- Warner Bros. Classics Get The Funko Mystery Mini Treatment
- Cards Against Humanity Wants To Stop Trump From Building His Wall
- Kylo Ren Gets a Special Holographic Funko Pop at Target - December 16, 2017
- There is a Documentary on the Way About the History of Funko - December 16, 2017
- [Spoiler-Free] Star Wars: The Last Jedi Review: The Spark That Will Ignite the Saga for Years to Come - December 14, 2017
- Bib Fortuna Gets a Sweet Bust From Gentle Giant - December 13, 2017
- Funko Roundup: Harry Potter, Walking Dead, Ni No Kuni, and Funko Shop Updates! - December 13, 2017