UPDATE: DC Comics has sent a new update:
Statement from DC Entertainment regarding Eddie Berganza – UPDATED 11/13/17
Warner Bros and DC Entertainment have terminated the employment of DC Comics Group Editor Eddie Berganza. We are committed to eradicating harassment and ensuring that all employees, as well as our freelance community, are aware of our policies, are comfortable reporting any concerns and feel supported by our Company.
The original story follows below.
Bleeding Cool has received word from multiple senior figures in the comic book industry that, as of today, DC Group Editor Eddie Berganza will not be returning to the comic book publisher.
Yesterday, DC released the statement that Berganza had been suspended. This came days after Buzzfeed’s report of the stories that have been reported and re-reported in the comic book press regarding allegations of sexual harassment made several years ago. This has now made it as far as the front page of the New York Daily News.
It was both this external media pressure and internal pressure from staff and creators, as well as concern from Warner Bros., that led to this decision, as well as the voices of others who hadn’t spoken out until the Buzzfeed piece. So we have been told that the suspension is intended as a precursor to dismissal.
We’re told to expect an official statement regarding Berganza’s position at some stage. And we would like to underline that, as of this moment, this is not yet official.
You can read how this unfolded from 2012 onwards. But as Buzzfeed demonstrated, the problem had been there for years previously.
- That WonderCon Incident In The Hilton Lobby
- Eddie Berganza Now Group Editor At DC Comics
- Eddie Berganza Takes The Superman Books Back
- Tom Brevoort Questions Dan DiDio Over Wonder Woman Earth One Credits
- Sexual Harassment Allegations Against Superman Editor Eddie Berganza, Revived
- The Beat – Comics Toxic Heritage Strikes Again As DC Editor Named As Sexual Harasser
- CBR- Sexual Harassment Allegations Against DC Editor Eddie Berganza Become Public
- Graphic Policy – Parenting DC Comics, And A Rebirth Of Ethics
- Dan DiDio Deletes His Twitter Account – It’s All About Rabbits
- Alex De Campi – You Can Only Find The Best Version Of Wonder Woman In Sensation Comics
- Eddie Berganza Tells DC Comics Staff That Buzzfeed Is Publishing An Article All About Him (UPDATE)
- Buzzfeed – At DC Comics, An Editor Rose Through The Ranks Even After Being Accused Of Sexual Harassment
- DC Comics Editor Eddie Berganza Makes The Front Page Of The NY Daily News
- DC Comics Suspends Eddie Berganza
- Vulture – DC Comics Editor Eddie Berganza Suspended After 3 Women Accuse Him of Sexual Assault
- Comic Industry Reacts To The Eddie Berganza Suspension
- Kirby Comics Opens in Hanover, Pennsylvania, Makes the Front Page - January 20, 2018
- Al Ewing Has a “Most Awesome, Mind-Bending Miniseries Ever” Coming from Marvel Comics - January 20, 2018
- First Peek at Wild’s End Original Graphic Novel by Dan Abnett and INJ Culbard - January 20, 2018
- 28-Page Preview of Super Suckers #1, Another of Sitcomics’ 64-Page $3.99 Comics - January 20, 2018
- A Chat with Travis McIntire, Publisher of Source Point Press - January 20, 2018