In a shocking coup for DC Comics, longtime Marvel writer “The Great One” Brian Bendis has switched sides, signing a multi-year exclusive deal with the company. DC announced the news on Twitter, saying, “We are beyond thrilled to welcome Brian Michael Bendis exclusively to the DC family with a multiyear, multi-faceted deal. He’s one of the premier writers in the industry having created so many unforgettable stories wherever he’s been and we can’t wait to see what he has planned for the DC Universe.”
— DC (@DCComics) November 7, 2017
Bendis confirmed the news on Twitter, adding, “This is real. I love you all. Change is good. Change is healthy. I am bursting with ideas and inspirations. Details to come! Stay tuned!”
Bendis started with Marvel on Ultimate Spider-Man with Mark Bagley in 2000 and a well-regarded Daredevil run with Alex Maleev starting in 2001. Beginning with Avengers Disassembled in 2004, The Great One became arguably the company’s preeminent writer, shaping the transformation of the Marvel Universe for the modern, event-driven era. As of Marvel’s January solicitations, Bendis was writing Invincible Iron Man (starring Riri Williams, who he co-created), Spider-Man (starring Miles Morales, who he co-created), Jessica Jones (who he co-created), and Defenders. The future of those books is unknown, as is what Bendis’s first projects for DC will be.
This is real. I love you all. Change is good. Change is healthy. I am bursting with ideas and inspirations. Details to come! Stay tuned! https://t.co/S1x5JDmGTt
— BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS (@BRIANMBENDIS) November 7, 2017
So why would Bendis choose to leave his longtime home, while the company is in the midst of an major not-a-reboot reboot in Marvel Legacy, designed to combat a major sales slump?
@BRIANMBENDIS was it something I said
— Real Chip Zdarsky (@zdarsky) November 7, 2017
Perhaps we’ll find out in the near future. In the meantime… Justice League disassembled, anyone?
- At Least One Reviewer Loved Justice League, And His Name Is Jim Lee - November 19, 2017
- Justice League’s Sub-$100M Opening Is Officially The Lowest In DCEU History - November 19, 2017
- On Way Out Door, Brian Michael Bendis Takes A Parting Shot At Marvel Variant Covers - November 19, 2017
- DC-Loving Long Beach Mayor Blast Critics, Defends Zack Snyder In Self-Described Justice League Rant - November 19, 2017
- Gotham City Residents Think Someone Should Do Something About Batman In Wayne Thanksgiving SNL Sketch - November 19, 2017