Red Sonja is returning to movie theaters for the first time since 1985’s Red Sonja starring Brigitte Nielsen and Arnold Schwarzenegger. Millennium Media and Cinelou are teaming up for the project, which Deadline claims is hoping to “fast track” a screenwriter. The plans for the movie have kicked into high gear following the success of DC’s Wonder Woman, now the highest grossing superhero origin movie of all time.
“We have been waiting for the right time for this remake, and with the success of Wonder Woman, the audience has spoken,” said producer Avi Lerner. “They want female heroes.”
Originally created by Robert E. Howard, Red Sonja has been a successful comic book property for decades, and is currently published by Dynamite Entertainment. In the current ongoing series by Amy Chu and Carlos Gomez, Sonja has been trapped in a modern day New York City, but an upcoming story arc will return her to the Hyperborean Age.
- New GWAR OGN The Enormogantic Fail Revisits the Obliteration of Flab Quarv 7 - October 17, 2018
- R.I.P. ResurrXion? Weapon X Missing from Marvel’s January Solicits - October 16, 2018
- Finally, Chuck Austen’s Early X-Men Work Returns to Print at Marvel - October 16, 2018
- Is Ms. Marvel Cancelled? G. Willow Wilson Says It’s Just Taking a “Skip Month” - October 16, 2018
- Chuck Wendig’s Shadow of Vader Not Solicited for January… Has It Been Canceled Completely? - October 16, 2018