When Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man came out with much lighter tones, we didn’t really think too much of it because these were characters we’d never seen before on screen. However, taking established characters in a radical new direction is another thing entirely and could backfire. In an interview with Collider, that was something Mark Ruffalo was worried about when making the film.
“Do you know how many times I was like, ‘are we breaking the Marvel universe,’” Ruffalo said. “We threw everything out. We started all over again with this. We threw the Thor franchise out. We threw everyone’s perception of Banner out. We threw everyone’s perception of Hulk out. We threw everyone’s perception of Thor out. And, yes, we knew what we were doing. At the same time we were like, ‘let’s just do it, and let’s go for it, and let’s do it the best and most honest and fun way that we can.’ Taika did that, and he wasn’t afraid of that… so we improvised a lot and we played… and that playfulness is really appealing on-screen.”
Thus far the response to the movie has been largely positive, so it looks like this mad gamble has paid off. Sometimes dramatic reinventions work.
Summary: Imprisoned, the mighty Thor finds himself in a lethal gladiatorial contest against the Hulk, his former ally. Thor must fight for survival and race against time to prevent the all-powerful Hela from destroying his home and the Asgardian civilization.
Thor: Ragnarok, directed by Taika Waititi, stars Chris Hemsworth, Tom Hiddleston, Cate Blanchett, Jeff Goldblum, Idris Elba, and Mark Ruffalo. It is out now in the UK and will be released on November 3rd in the US.
- Thor: Ragnarok Review: The Best Of The Thor Films
- Telltale Shows Off The Last 'Guardians Of The Galaxy' Episode Trailer
- DC Universe Announces the Premiere Date for Young Justice: Outsiders - November 16, 2018
- Instant Family Review: A Genuinely Funny and Sincere Family Comedy - November 16, 2018
- Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald Review: The Crime of Poorly Paced Exposition - November 15, 2018
- The Gifted Season 2 Episode 8: Promo, Summary, Images, and a Tiara - November 14, 2018
- Ralph Breaks the Internet Review: Funny Moments That Never Comes Together - November 14, 2018