The Unwritten was a DC/Vertigo comic created by Mike Carey and Peter Gross inspired by the son of A.A. Milne, Christopher Milne, who could never escape the legacy of Christopher Robin. The comic followed the life or one Tom Taylor, the inspiration for a series of hugely successful children’s fantasy novels in the vein of Harry Potter. The series dealt with themes related to fame, celebrity, and the relationship between fiction and human consciousness.
Tom Taylor’s father Wilson Taylor disappears after writing books about a wizard kid called Tom Taylor, and Tom finds himself living a life that is not his, surviving on appearance fees at comic conventions. That is, until the fictional starts to bleeding through to reality, the villains of the book start to attack, and Tom discovers that he may actually be a fictional construct.
Book Two, though still available on Amazon, has been cancelled from DC Comics, and not listed as something that will be resolicited. If you were waiting…
Looks like you might have to wait until they make it into a TV show or movie.
- Comic Store in Your Future: Friday Nights Aren’t Magic Anymore - February 25, 2018
- Lying in the Gutters: It’s February 25th, 2018 – Do You Know Where the Super Sons Are? - February 25, 2018
- A Comic Con with Only Comic Talent in a Mall for Free? Why Not? - February 25, 2018
- Yes, Comics Can Break Your Heart… but They Can Mend It, Too - February 25, 2018
- Trekker: Thirty Years and Counting on the Trail with Mercy St. Clair - February 25, 2018