Remember when Battleship got turned into a movie and we all made jokes about the next board game to get the order was going to be something silly like Jenga? Well, it would appear Sony is going in a different direction, and has made an offer for film rights to Settlers of Catan.
Oddly enough, back in 2015, Variety reported Gail Katz (The Perfect Storm, Air Force One) had secured the rights for a tv adaptation based on the game, but apparently that has now morphed into this current project.
“We’re excited to be working with Sony to bring the iconic world of Catan to life. As huge fans of the game, we’re struck by the endless possibilities of stories that it could inspire. It’s not every day that you have the opportunity to work in a world beloved by millions of people, and expand its story for the screen.”
Designed by Klaus Teuber, Settlers of Catan has sold more than 25 million copies in 38 languages. The 1995 release of Catan is largely credited with helping bringing tabletop gaming back to mainstream culture, and helping foster the current gaming revolution. The goal of Catan is to create a dominant community on the ever-changing fictional island of Catan amid scarce resources.
Blaise Hemingway is tackling the screenplay. Katz is on deck to produce, and Andrea Giannetti will oversee the project for Columbia. No word yet on a director, but stay tuned!
- UPDATE: Trent Reznor And Atticus Ross Cover The Halloween Theme. Listen Now!
- Stranger Things Teases A Final Trailer For Tomorrow To Celebrate Friday The 13th
- 28 Photos from the Vikings San Diego Comic-Con Panel - July 20, 2018
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer Getting Reboot, Joss Whedon Attached - July 20, 2018
- History Channel Releases Trailer for ‘Vikings’ During SDCC Panel - July 20, 2018
- Conan O’Brien Holds Auditions for Batgirl - July 20, 2018
- SYFY Releases Official Trailer for ‘Nightflyers’ Series - July 19, 2018