Bluehole, the publishers of the now constantly popular battle royale game PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds, have decided to formally respond to fan concerns that Fortnite has, for lack of a better term, ripped them off. In a press release sent out this morning, PUBG’s team addresses a growing concern that Fortnite’s recent battle royale addition is, in many ways, a direct copy of their system. We’re sure there’s going to be an argument made soon that PUBG’s system looks like a ripoff of H1Z1, but that’s a discussion for tomorrow after that argument blows up on Reddit. Below is the most important snippet from the press release, in which the likeness is addressed and it sounds like Bluehole may be contemplating legal action. But we’re curious what you think. Is Fortnite’s versions a copycat, or are they simply capitalizing on a genre that’s gained popularity in recent years?
“We’ve had an ongoing relationship with Epic Games throughout PUBG’s development as they are the creators of UE4, the engine we licensed for the game,” said Chang Han Kim, Vice President and Executive Producer for Bluehole, Inc. “After listening to the growing feedback from our community and reviewing the gameplay for ourselves, we are concerned that Fortnite may be replicating the experience for which PUBG is known.”
The development team for PUBG has no relationship to Fortnite’s development as concerns around User Interface (UI), gameplay and structural replication in the battle royale mode exist.
“We have also noticed that Epic Games references PUBG in the promotion of Fortnite to their community and in communications with the press,” Chang Han Kim continues. “This was never discussed with us and we don’t feel that it’s right.” … “Other companies will, of course, enter the marketplace, but I would just hope they put their own spin on the game mode and not just make a carbon copy!”
Chang Han Kim closed, “The PUBG community has and continues to provide evidence of the many similarities as we contemplate further action.”
- 'Fortnite' Reveals Their "Fortnitemares" Halloween Event
- 'PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds' Is Likely Headed To The PS4
- Bluehole Forms PUBG Corp., To Focus Squarely On 'PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds'
- Is This 'PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds' Bandana Really Worth $1,000?
- 'Fortnite: Battle Royale' Passes One Million Players
- Ramjet Joins The Battle In 'Transformers: Forged To Fight'
- Bluehole Predicts Large Sales For 'PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds' On Console
- Fog In 'PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds' Likely To Mess With Top Tier Players
- PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds Has Hit 10 Million Downloads Already
- Twitch Announces New Interactive Developer "Extensions" At PAX West
- Microsoft & Bluehole Announce Partnership For 'PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds'
- Twitch To Host The NBA G League Starting This Week - December 13, 2017
- NieR: Automata Sends Out A More Truthful Letter About GOTY Ballots - December 12, 2017
- Carrying My Switch In Style: We Review WaterField’s Arcade Gaming Case - December 12, 2017
- Cloud Finally Added To The Final Fantasy Brave Exvius Roster - December 11, 2017
- A Look At The Full Roster For Dissidia Final Fantasy NT - December 11, 2017