It’s been 14 years since the last time Tomb Raider video game heroine Lara Croft graced the big screen, but that’s about to change. In 2018, we’ll be getting a brand-new film starring Oscar winner Alicia Vikander as the leading lady of antiquities.
Based on the recent set of video games sporting a younger and less busty Lady Croft, Tomb Raider looks to be going back into the character’s history. Yesterday, a 15-second teaser trailer was released along with a poster, ahead of the official trailer release.
It looked like we got the trailer ahead of it’s release tonight on IGN, as actor Daniel Wu published it to his instagram. It’s since been deleted, so sorry for jumping the gun(s) there folks.
The official synopsis for the film from Warner Bros. gives a bit more background on what we can expect to see when the new Tomb Raider hits in 2018:
“Lara Croft is the fiercely independent daughter of an eccentric adventurer who vanished when she was scarcely a teen. Now a young woman of 21 without any real focus or purpose, Lara navigates the chaotic streets of trendy East London as a bike courier, barely making the rent, and takes college courses, rarely making it to class. Determined to forge her own path, she refuses to take the reins of her father’s global empire just as staunchly as she rejects the idea that he’s truly gone. Advised to face the facts and move forward after seven years without him, even Lara can’t understand what drives her to finally solve the puzzle of his mysterious death.
Going explicitly against his final wishes, she leaves everything she knows behind in search of her dad’s last-known destination: a fabled tomb on a mythical island that might be somewhere off the coast of Japan. But her mission will not be an easy one; just reaching the island will be extremely treacherous. Suddenly, the stakes couldn’t be higher for Lara, who—against the odds and armed with only her sharp mind, blind faith and inherently stubborn spirit—must learn to push herself beyond her limits as she journeys into the unknown. If she survives this perilous adventure, it could be the making of her, earning her the name tomb raider. “
Rounding out the cast we have Dominic West (Money Monster, 300), Walton Goggins (The Hateful Eight, Django Unchained), Daniel Wu (Into the Badlands) and Kristin Scott Thomas (The English Patient). Roar Uthaug (The Wave) is directing.
Tomb Raider is set to hit theaters on March 16th 2018.
- Watch: Alicia Vikander as Lara Croft in Brand-New Tomb Raider Trailer
- New Tomb Raider Movie Poster, Now with a Real Neck
- Square Enix Posts Update About New Tomb Raider Game
- TMNT Gets New Monster Mash Up Figures In Time For Halloween
- FOR REAL THIS TIME, The New "Tomb Raider" Trailer Hits
- SYFY Releases Official Trailer for ‘Nightflyers’ Series - July 19, 2018
- Doctor Who’s Jodie Whittaker Really is THAT Incandescent in Person - July 19, 2018
- Greg Berlanti, Geoff Johns Bringing Stargirl to DC Universe Streaming Service - July 19, 2018
- SDCC Bash ‘Ready Party One’ Was Everything This Side of the OASIS - July 19, 2018
- Henry Cavill Wanted to Fight [SPOILER] in Man of Steel 2 - July 18, 2018