We’ve been taking a look at new books and comics coming out at the upcoming Thought Bubble Comics Festival, a week-long celebration of creativity and comics that takes place in Leeds in the north of England. The festival culminates in a weekend-long comic con on September 23rd-24th. Taking over a fair part of the city across a number of venues, the event always includes the big splash con party and a smorgasbord of incredible comics and creativity in every corner you can find.
Self Care & Vegetables is a self-publication from Rozi Hathaway.
In a Hathaway first, the Njálla and Cosmos & Other Stories creator delves into autobiographical work with Self Care & Vegetables; a zine about breaking up in your late 20’s, a time when you still have to put on a brave face and go to work, and not hide eating junk food in drunken hysterics.
Isolation, anxiety, neurosis and plenty of multivitamins, Self-Care & Vegetables is a candid look at how one person can begin to recover and repair her fractured life.
Roz describes it, and the creative process, as,
An autobiographical zine detailing my recovery from the fallout of a long-term relationship, after relocating far away from friends and family.
Printed at on Cyclus recycled paper at ethical, local Manchester printers MARC, Self-Care & Vegetables is 40-pages of anxieties and progression, printed at A6 on their economical inkjet printer. Created without paint or textures, the zine was drawn with just two Kuretake brush pens.
Some of the things I experienced were akin to poor mental health and learning how to get better was something I struggled with for many, many months. I guess it sounds overly enlightened, but in a similar way to Cosmos, if I can help someone relate and make them feel less alone, it’s part of my duty as a creator to do so. This isn’t my Sistine Chapel, and it may not be a best seller, but for a limited run of 100 copies it’s 40-pages of all my anxieties and recovery following the fallout of a four-year relationship.
…sound appealing yet?
It might well do. The comic will debut at Thought Bubble but can also be pre-ordered here.
- Eric Zawadzki And Ryan Lindsay’s Graphic Novel, Eternal, From Black Mask January 2018 Solicits - October 18, 2017
- Titan Comics Launches Assassin’s Creed: Origins With Free DLC, By Anne Toole And PJ Kaiowa In January 2018 Solicits - October 18, 2017
- DC Comics Has Revealed A Universe Where Everyone Is Genderflipped – Including Selina Kyle (METAL Spoilers) - October 18, 2017
- Did Stark Just Unmask Peter Parker To The World Again? Seriously? - October 18, 2017
- So Maybe Wonder Woman Wasn’t The Worst Mother – But Then Superman Was A Terrible Step-Dad (Justice League #31 Spoilers) - October 18, 2017