This December sees a crossover event between the titles that sit together alphabetically on the DC Comics shelf: Superman, Super Sons, and Teen Titans. It’s called Super Sons of Tomorrow. And it involves a certain character: The Batman of Tomorrow.
In the Silver Age comics, Brane Taylor was the Batman of Tomorrow, a visitor from the 31st century — the Batman of his time — who helped Batman out when he was needed in the present day.
Well, the Batman of Tomorrow doesn’t so much want to help Batman out this time; rather, he wants to kill Superboy.
In December, Superman #37 by Peter J. Tomasi, Patrick Gleason, Doug Mahnke, and Jaime Mendoza has the Batman of Tomorrow travel to the present to prevent a cataclysmic disaster in a way totally different to what the children of the rest of the Justice League are doing right now in, um, Justice League. Maybe.
In that series it is revealed that Jonathan Kent died, but in this event he is responnsible for the deaths of millions. And so it’s Superman vs. the Batman of Tomorrow over the fate of Superboy.
Then Super Sons #11 by Peter J. Tomasi and Brian Ching have Damian Wayne trying to protect Jonathan from the Batman of Tomorrow.
Teen Titans #15 by Ben Percy, Khoi Pham and Trevor Scott will have the Batman of Tomorrow try to recruit them to his cause. Possibly because he’s Dick Grayson or something; I don’t know. And you get the killing Hitler as a baby trope… but he’s a Superbaby! So it’s Teen Titans vs. Super Sons in a crossover event that will conclude in January.
And maybe let us know who this new Batman of Tomorrow actually is!
There is a lot of time travel going on right now at DC, isn’t there? The Flash dealing with Reverse Flash, Superman travelling through time to see who Mr Oz really is, the children of the Justice League confronting the Justice League, Detective Comics having this Fall of the Batman future Batwoman story, this Super Sons of Tomorrow crossover event between Superman, Super Sons and Teen Titans…
…well, the Titans series won’t want to miss out, either. In December, Titans #18 by Dan Abnett, Minkyu Jung, and Mick Gray has “The Rise of Troia” with a dead Wally West, defeated Titans, and Donna Troy fighting Troia, a twisted angry version of herself from the near future.
Days of Future Pissed?
- Image Comics Is 'Sleepless' This December, Thanks To Sarah Vaughn, Leila del Duca, Alissa Sallah, And Deron Bennett
- Gerard Jones Sentenced to 6 Years in Jail on Child Pornography Charges - August 15, 2018
- What Might Today’s Astonishing X-Men Annual Reveal About Weekly Uncanny X-Men? - August 15, 2018
- Will Spider-Punk Die When He is 27? (Edge of Spider-Geddon and Extermination Spoilers) - August 15, 2018
- Oh and It’s Marvel’s 80th Anniversary in 2019 as Well – the Decades Collections - August 15, 2018
- DC Comics to Celebrate Batman’s 80th Birthday With Detective Comics #1000 – But it All Begins in September - August 15, 2018