Fans of Aladdin excited for the upcoming live-action reboot by director Guy Ritchie, but worried because Disney hasn’t yet found a way to whitewash any of the main characters, can breathe a heavy sigh of relief.
It was challenging to figure out how to cast a white actor in the film due to it taking place in the fictional Arabian city of Agrabah, and with Will Smith already been cast as the Genie, it seemed like Disney may have backed themselves into a corner and would be forced to release a movie with no white actors, breaking with Hollywood tradition. However, through perseverance and ingenuity, Disney has found a way to get a white guy into this film after all.
The studio cast actor Billy Magnussen in the role of a new character named Prince Anders, according to a report from THR. There are no other details available about Magnussen’s character yet.
The news comes just one week after actor Ed Skrein resigned from his part in the upcoming Hellboy reboot after learning that his casting was whitewashing an Asian character, making it AWKWARD for any future white actors who accept a whitewashing role.
Magnussen joins Mena Massoud’s Prince Ali, Naomi Scott’s Princess Jasmine, and Marwan Kenzari’s Jafar in the film, which does not have a release date yet.
- Disney Sets Release Dates For Aladdin, Christopher Robin, And Artemis Fowl
- Boston Caught Cheating Yet Again, This Time It Was The Red Sox
- Ed Skrein Resigns From Hellboy Role Amidst Whitewashing Criticism
- Twitter Responds To Ed Skrein's Casting As Japanese-American Character In Hellboy Reboot
- Death Note Director Hoping Sequel Will Be Greenlit Before Everyone Sees And Hates Movie
- If At First You Don't Succeed... Try, Try Again With An Animated Ghost In The Shell Reboot
- [SPOILERS] The Twist In ‘Ghost In The Shell’ Somehow Makes The Whitewashing Even More Racist
- Will Ghost In The Shell Be The First Blockbuster To Have Its Box Office Affected By Whitewashing Complaints?
- Iron Fist Co-Creator Roy Thomas: "Complaining About Cultural Appropriation And Crap Like That Makes Me Furious"
- It's Donald Trump's Fault Iron Fist Is Bad, Not Marvel's, Says Star Finn Jones
- Finn Jones Leaves Twitter After Discussing Iron Fist / Whitewashing Controversy
- Great Wall Star Matt Damon Whitesplains Whitewashing
- The Great Wall Director Zhang Yimou On Casting Matt Damon
- Derek Laufman’s RuinWorld Goes Kaboom! - March 23, 2018
- Remender and Bengal’s Death or Glory Gets a Racy Trailer - March 23, 2018
- WWE’s Ultimate Deletion Gets an Epilogue - March 23, 2018
- Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Gets Its First Trailer - March 23, 2018
- Image Plans Veritable Lazarus Extravaganza for April - March 23, 2018