In the Generations series of comics, we see a recent adopter of a Marvel identity — Miles Morales Spider-Man, Jane Foster Thor, Riri Williams Iron Heart, Amadeus Cho Hulk, and the like take a trip in time to meet their classic counterpart in a different period. They have some form of adventure together. And then they depart back to their own time.
Some feel that this is at odds with how the event was initially described, with Marvel EIC Axel Alonso saying “These stories do happen, they really count. They really matter. This isn’t some alternate reality story or some time-travel story”.
Because, as far as anyone can see, this is a time-travel story.
But, in subsequent chapters, it is revealed that no, no it isn’t. The events as seen in the comics do not occur in the past (or in Riri’s version, the future). The event is one concocted by Kobik. They don’t actually happen.
But in that case, doesn’t that contradict Axel’s other statement that they really count, if they never actually happen?
I’m going to guess that the official explanation is that they actually happen, but only to the person doing the travelling. And to that person, the event really counts. to a character defining or creating level.
And none more than to Sam Wilson in an upcoming Generations: Captain America. It may well be the highlight of the books… if retailers can up their orders of any book, that would be the one.
- Marvel Battle Lines Variant Cover Credit Switcheroo - August 17, 2018
- More DC Comics Variant Covers for September 2018 from Francesco Mattina, Kaare Andrews, Mark Brooks and More - August 17, 2018
- Ann Nocenti and David Aja’s Seeds #1 is an eBay Smash – in the UK - August 17, 2018
- Deadpool Kills The Marvel Universe Creative Team Reunite For The Witch Hammer - August 17, 2018
- More ESPN Marvel Comics College Football Covers For 2018 - August 17, 2018