The Mummy is, for lack of a better phrase, not dead. Now that the import ban on western movies has finally come down, the lucrative Chinese Box Office is saving several movies from oblivion. Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets is reportedly doing very well there, but it probably won’t be enough to save that movie’s box office take-in. However, the Chinese market has most definitely saved The Mummy.
Box office believe it or not: Tom Cruise’s THE MUMMY has hit the magic sequelizer number–$400M+ worldwide. China is the #1 market w/ $91M.
— Exhibitor Relations (@ERCboxoffice) August 28, 2017
It really isn’t that surprising. While a good majority of the United States seems well and truly over Tom Cruise, the rest of the world very much isn’t. Now that the movie has hit that $400 million number, we can expect the odd silence that followed the release of The Mummy to lift soon. Universal has breathed their sigh of relief, and now they can justify going forward with the Dark Universe without raising too many eyebrows. It’s just a shame that they are going to have a foundation so flimsy it might as well be made of mummy bones.
Hopefully the next entry, The Bride of Frankenstein — due out in 2019 — will be considerably better.
Summary: An ancient princess is awakened from her crypt beneath the desert, bringing with her malevolence grown over millennia, and terrors that defy human comprehension.
The Mummy reboot was directed by Alex Kurtzman and stars Tom Cruise, Sofia Boutella, Annabelle Wallis, and Russell Crowe. It will be released for home release on September 12th.
- Bleeding Cool Ranks All the Star Wars Movies So Far - December 17, 2017
- Facebook User Claims to Have Manipulated the Rotten Tomatoes Audience Score for Star Wars: The Last Jedi - December 17, 2017
- [SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Last Jedi – Mark Hamill and Rian Johnson Talk About That Cameo - December 17, 2017
- The Working Title for Star Wars: Episode IX Has Been Revealed as ‘Black Diamond’ - December 17, 2017
- Joseph Kahn Shares Images From His Failed Justice League Dark Pitch - December 17, 2017