Today is the 100th birthday of Jack Kirby, I’d say arguably the greatest comic book creator of all time — though it might be hard to find someone to argue against that statement. His long and prolific career had him working on every style of comic imaginable, but it was with superhero books that he is most remembered.
Kirby created or or co-created some of the most memorable characters of all time, including Captain America, Fantastic Four, Hulk, Thor, Iron Man, the Avengers, The X-Men, Black Panther, Silver Surfer, Galactus, Doctor Doom, the Inumans, The New Gods, Darkseid, Mister Miracle, Etrigan the Demon, the Forever People, The Eternals, Captain Victory, and Silver Star. The list goes on and on.
Whether he was working with Joe Simon, Stan Lee, or on his own, Jack’s visionary creations always rose to the top, and his work ethic and generosity are the stuff of legends. He has inspired so many of the creators that make up not only comics, but all of the entertainment world. His creations are the backbone of both the Marvel Studios and the Warner Bros./DC universes. Ask any comic creator about Jack and they will speak of the King who changed the industry forever. Went I met him at a convention when I was 11 years old, he left such an impression on me that I knew from that day forward I wanted to work in comics.
I’ve chosen what I think are the top five Jack Kirby creations, based on their long-lasting effect not only on the comic industry, but on the rest of the world. Feel free to post your own in the comments below.
- Writer’s Commentary: Ian Edginton Talks About Killer Instinct #4 - January 18, 2018
- NFL Post-Mortem: The 2017 Atlanta Falcons - January 18, 2018
- Flash Season 4: Wrestler Goldberg Plays Rare DC Comics Villain - January 18, 2018
- Black Lightning Season 1: What Will Keep Jefferson Pierce from Retiring Again? - January 18, 2018
- Arrow Season 5: The Team Finds How Cayden James Has Been Ahead of Them - January 18, 2018