Wonder Woman is the highest grossing superhero origin movie of all time, a widely-acclaimed critical hit, and inspiring for shattering the glass ceiling for women in the superhero movie world. But it’s not as good as James Cameron could have done, according to James Cameron.
The Avatar director whose pomposity knows no bounds trashed the Gal Gadot starring film in an interview with The Guardian, calling the film’s praise “self-congratulatory back-patting” and “a step backward” from Cameron’s own work in the Terminator franchise.
All of the self-congratulatory back-patting Hollywood’s been doing over Wonder Woman has been so misguided. She’s an objectified icon, and it’s just male Hollywood doing the same old thing! I’m not saying I didn’t like the movie but, to me, it’s a step backwards. Sarah Connor was not a beauty icon. She was strong, she was troubled, she was a terrible mother, and she earned the respect of the audience through pure grit. And to me, [the benefit of characters like Sarah] is so obvious. I mean, half the audience is female!
According to Cameron, he’s been showing everyone how to make a movie with strong female characters, but for some reason, directors like Patty Jenkins (a woman) just aren’t listening.
I don’t – I don’t know. There are many women in power in Hollywood and they do get to guide and shape what films get made. I think – no, I can’t account for it. Because how many times do I have to demonstrate the same thing over again? I feel like I’m shouting in a wind tunnel!
On the subject of not objectifying strong, independent women, Cameron also took the time to reveal his thoughts on dating them:
Being attracted to strong independent women has the downside that they’re strong independent women – they inherently don’t need you! Fortunately, I’m married now to a strong independent woman who does believe she needs me.
If that doesn’t get you excited for the fifteen upcoming boring Avatar sequels, we don’t know what will.
- Alamo Drafthouse Announces "Clown Screening" Of 'It'
- What Patty Jenkins Would Change In Wonder Woman If She Could
- Wonder Woman To Return To IMAX Screens
- Wonder Woman Is The Highest Grossing Superhero Origin Story
- Will Marvel's First Female-Led Movie, Captain Marvel, Co-Star Samuel L. Jackson?
- Kevin Feige Grateful For Wonder Woman Breaking Barriers So Marvel Can Make Female-Led Film After 20 Sausage Fests
- Report: Wonder Woman Is Expected To Bury The Mummy At The Box Office This Weekend
- Wonder Woman Shatters DC's Glass Ceiling, While Marvel's Is Made Of Vibranium (Fox Holds The Adamantium Rights)
- WWE Cancels Wrestlemania… Ticket On-Sale Party - November 14, 2018
- Paige Biopic Fighting With My Family Gets a Trailer, New Release Date - November 14, 2018
- Get in the Holiday Spirit with a First Look at Klaus and the Crying Snowman - November 14, 2018
- Top Cow is Selling a Sci-Fi & Sex Humble Bundle to Benefit California Wildfire Victims - November 14, 2018
- Adventures of Sabrina: Chilling No More? - November 14, 2018