Superstar artist Sir Robert Liefeld shared some rare early artwork from his teen years, emulating a favorite Wolverine panel by the great John Byrne.
It’s a day ending in Y, which means it’s as good a day as any to extract content from Rob Liefeld’s Instagram and turn it into a clickbait article. It’s like hitting the Liefeld lotto every day!
Today, Liefeld took to Instagram to reveal that he’d purchased a very special page of original artwork by John Byrne from X-Men: Days of Future Past. The comic featured a personal favorite drawing for Liefeld of a certain comic book stabby runt…
“WOLVERINE!!” Liefeld revealed. “I picked up a page of original art this summer that had particular meaning for me.”
Liefeld went on to describe how the drawing helped shape his formative years as an artist.
“As a young teen, I attempted many versions of this particular Wolverine shot, my favorite depiction of him ever, by the legendary John Byrne,” the Deadpool creator explained. “My 1983, depiction of Logan in his very temporary outfit, was done at 15 years of age. I jumped at the chance to obtain this page from X-Men: Days Of Future Past when it became available. Great memories of art that inspired me to create comics!”
What future superstar artists might Liefeld’s work be inspiring today? So lost on his trip down memory lane, Liefeld found himself barely able to form complete thoughts, speaking now only in hashtags.
“#xmen,” Liefeld said. “#wolverine #robliefeld #johnbyrne #marvel.”
We couldn’t have said it better ourselves. Check out Li’l Liefeld’s Wolverine on the left, and Byrne’s on the right:
WOLVERINE!! I picked up a page of original art this summer that had particular meaning for me. As a young teen, I attempted many versions of this particular Wolverine shot, my favorite depiction of him ever, by the legendary John Byrne. My 1983, depiction of Logan in his very temporary outfit, was done at 15 years of age. I jumped at the chance to obtain this page from X-Men: Days Of Future Past when it became available. Great memories of art that inspired me to create comics! #xmen #wolverine #robliefeld #johnbyrne #marvel
- Walking Dead Creator Robert Kirkman Gave Deadpool Creator Rob Liefeld A Very Special Gift
- Rob Liefeld To America: "Don't Be A Freaking Nazi"
- Rob Liefeld Sketches Zazie Beetz As Domino
- Youngblood Becomes A Double Feature With Rob Liefeld's Bloodstrike Finale In August
- Rob Liefeld Talks Wonder Woman, X-Men, Guardians Of The Galaxy In State Of Superhero Movies Twitter Address
- Rob Liefeld To Be Inaugural Inductee Into Wizard World Hall Of Legends
- Rob Liefeld Already Has Sequel Planned For Deadpool OGN - Bad Blood Volume 2: Badder Blood
- We're Gonna Party Like It's 1992 Because Youngblood #1 Has Sold Out And Is Getting A Second Printing
- Does Rob Liefeld Approve Of DC's Dark Matter Publishing Initiative?
- Get Your First Look At Josh Brolin As Cable, As Drawn By Deadpool Creator Rob Liefeld
- Deadpool Can Regenerate His "Cable," Says Creator Rob Liefeld
- Dude: Rob Liefeld Taking Reunions To The Extreme With Extreme Studios Reunion, Dude
- Improbable Previews: Timeslide Into A Meat And Potatoes Future In Deadpool: Bad Blood
- Deadpool Would Stick Oscar Up Butt, Implies Co-Creator
- Liefeld's Extreme Revival Will Include Kickstarted "Brigade Returns," So Will It Be Free? Plus: Bloodstrike!
- Image Hits The Liefeld Lotto With Extreme Studios Revival Via "Extreme Anthology"
- That Time Rob Liefeld's EXTREME Characters Were More Popular Than Batman and Spider-Man
- X-ual Healing: Man-Groot-Thing vs. Hulkverine in Weapon H #4 - June 23, 2018
- X-ual Healing: Milking the Hunt for Wolverine in Claws of a Killer #2 - June 23, 2018
- X-ual Healing: Peak Liefeld Era in Cable #158 - June 23, 2018
- X-ual Healing: The Ol’ Switcheroo in X-Men Gold #30 - June 23, 2018
- Since When Do Psycho Chicks Read Comics? A Pre-Order Preview of Betty & Veronica: Vixens #8 - June 23, 2018