Rebellion, the British publisher behind 2000AD, is bringing back two horror anthology properties from the days of old this Halloween. Scream! and Misty, which surely scared the bejeezus out of a wee Bleeding Cool Rumormonger-in-Chief Rich Johnston back in the day, are returning for the first time in over 30 years. We asked Rich for comment, but he’s currently hiding under his bed, shivering with fright, and unable to answer us.
The news was reported by THR, in an interview with Rebellion editor Keith Richardson (Rebellion editor Mick Jaggerson wasn’t available). Richardson talked about the decision to revive the old properties:
“It was always likely that after buying the old Egmont archive, that we would try and put some new material out. We had already under license released a collection of [early Alan Moore material] Monster and a Misty book that included the stories Moonchild and Four Faces of Eve. Both sold really well, so it was clear that there was still a lot of love for these old titles out there.
I thought that Scream! would be the the perfect choice for a Halloween Special, and our publishing manager suggested that we add Misty to the mix. Hopefully the special will please older fans and also catch the eye of a younger demographic who enjoy it so much that they go out and buy the reprint collections — also available digitally kids!”
And future prospects:
“Hopefully this will be the first in a long line of revivals. If this one does well enough then it would be safe for one to assume that we will be doing more. I’m thinking a Battle & Oink! Summer Special might go down a storm…”
Creators and strips involved in the project, scattered throughout the interview, include Guy Adams, John Stokes, and Frazer Irving on The Thirteenth Floor, Grainne McEntee and Tristan Jones on The Dracula File, Henry Flint on Death-Man, Kek-W and Simon Coleby on Black Max, Hannah Berry and Ben Willsher on The Sentinels, and Fate of the Fairy Hunter by Alec Worley and DaNi.
The Scream! & Misty Special will be available digitally on October 18th, and in print on November 1st. Wait a minute, November 1st? Well, let’s not think of it as being a day late for Halloween. Let’s think of it as being a year early.
- The Charlie Brown Reboot You Never Knew You Needed is Back on Kickstarter for Weapon Brown: Aftershock - March 19, 2018
- X-Men: Bland Design – It’s Not a Happy Birthday for Logan in Weapon X #15 - March 19, 2018
- Dark Horse to Collect Matt Kindt’s 3 Story: The Secret History of the Giant Man in New Expanded Edition - March 19, 2018
- Braun Strowman Must Find Partner for WrestleMania Tag Team Title Match; Here’s the 3 Most Likely Choices - March 19, 2018
- X-Men: Bland Design – Drinking, Killing, and Portable Storage Technology in Old Man Logan #36 - March 19, 2018