Bleeding Cool is getting word that either Wizard World, or someone who has licensed the name, is preparing a new Wizard Magazine.
Wizard Magazine: A Guide To Comics launched out of the back of a comic shop in July 1991. With its high-end production values and monthly updating price guide in the back, it was a hit in comic book stores and on the newsstands, soon reaching a monthly circulation of more than 100,000 copies, outselling many of the big name comics it covered. It is most associated with the rise of Image Comics and Valiant Comics, both of which received considerable coverage by Wizard.
The magazine also spawned several ongoing magazines dedicated to similar interests such as ToyFare for toys and action figures, Inquest Gamer for collectible game cards, Anime Insider for anime and manga, and Toy Wishes for mainstream toy enthusiasts. Robot Chicken is based on “Twisted ToyFare Theater”. But after 20 years of publication, it was down to around 17,000 copies a month and the magazine was cancelled, as the publisher switched its focus to the successful Wizard World conventions that continue to span the country.
Wizard alumni are everywhere in and around the comic book industry. Many, including its main editors Mike Cotton, Brian Cunningham, and Pat McCallum, all in senior roles at DC Comics, and many were recruited for DC’s recent Direct Currents and Rebirth magazine. William Christensen and Mark Seifert formed Bleeding Cool’s publisher Avatar Press. Recently, founders Gareb Shamus and Pat Shamus suffered a Shamus-ectomy from Wizard World the company — could they be returning to the magazine that made their names so big?
Print or website? Magazine or app? As it stands, I don’t yet know — but I do know that writers are being approached.
You know, the upcoming Wizard World Chicago would be an ideal place to launch such a project.
- Jenny Finn From Mike Mignola And Troy Nixey Returns In Dark Horse’s November 2017 Solicits - August 16, 2017
- The Who’s Who Of The Valiant Universe In Divinity #0 - August 16, 2017
- More Demonstrations As To How Marvel Legacy Came Up With Their Numbers - August 16, 2017
- Second Prints For Metal #1, Mister Miracle #1, Totally Awesome Hulk #22, Captain America #25 And Generations: Thors - August 16, 2017
- Official Pepe The Frog Enamel Pins Coming To Comic Stores In October – What Could Go Wrong? - August 16, 2017