At the DC Master Class panel at San Diego Comic Con, surprise guest Frank Miller announced that he’s working on a Superman origin story for DC Comics with artist John Romita Jr. Miller said the project is something he’s wanted to do for so long “it’s embarrassing,” and called it “the opportunity of a lifetime.”
On Twitter, DC confirmed that the book will be called Superman: Year One.
— DC (@DCComics) July 23, 2017
Back in April at C2E2, Miller spoke in depth about what he wanted to do with this project, saying:
I adore Superman, but I was doing a Batman book, and I wanted Batman to be the hero and very much took his point of view, and it just seems to me that… If I were Batman, who would I resent the most? It would be the guy who not only represented very, very status quo oriented sense of things, someone who wanted things to stay just the same when things were rotten, but… someone who could fly when I needed a goddamn car.
To me it was very natural to set up a story where Batman would end up in combat with Superman, then the fun was finding a way for Batman to win the fight. By putting him in a big suit of armor, and having him have a buddy who could fire Kryptonite arrows.
To turn that around, one project I very much want to do is a project where Superman is very much a hero. I’m talking to DC about it, and hope to have something announced, but I want to do my original Superman where he’d be the hero all the way through.
- Frank Miller Adds To Silver Foil DC Comics Variants Of San Diego Comic-Con From Graphitti
- First Image From Frank Miller's 300 Prequel Released
- Dark Knight III: The Master Race Takes Grant Morrison Rather Literally (SPOILERS)
- Is Frank Miller's Batman No Longer The Goddamned Batman?
- Frank Miller On His Possible Upcoming Superman Project, And The Genesis Of The Batman V Superman Dynamic
- Chilling Adventures Of… Sorcery?! And Cosmo #1 In The Archie January 2018 Solicitations - October 17, 2017
- Se7en Screenwriter Signs On To Justin Lin’s ‘Lone Wolf And Cub’ Movie At Paramount - October 17, 2017
- X-Men’s Blink Gets A Physics-Defying New Costume On Cable #153 Cover - October 17, 2017
- Buy Marvel Legacy #1 With Some Extra Bonus Content For $40 This January - October 17, 2017
- What If… Kieron Gillen Had Continued To Write The X-Men - October 17, 2017