That’s gotta hurt!
Following up on Thursday’s news that Sega had ended its publishing relationship with Archie, IDW has announced a new relationship with Sega to publish Sonic the Hedgehog comics. Sega broke up with Archie Thursday night on Twitter, tweeting:
An important update from SEGA regarding Sonic comics: pic.twitter.com/qy9BKkmIvA
— Sonic the Hedgehog (@sonic_hedgehog) July 19, 2017
Rumors from tabloid websites the next day said that Archie was obsessively checking Sega’s Facebook page in the wake of the breakup, so they probably saw Sega change its status to “In A Relationship” as soon as IDW announced the new deal at their panel at San Diego Comic Con today.
“We’ve been speaking with beloved Sonic fan-favorite creators and new creators alike, and are excited to be able to spread specifics about our plans for the comic in the near future,” said Chris Ryall, IDW’s Chief Creative Officer, in a press release, flaunting the new relationship in a public display of affection.
“We are ecstatic about this partnership with IDW,” said Ivo Gerscovich, Chief Brand Officer for Sonic the Hedgehog, really rubbing it in. “We know they’ll serve as a good home for the new adventures of Sonic, his friends, and foes.”
Check back with Bleeding Cool next week as we explore whether the Sonic the Hedgehog licensing rights are showing a baby bump, and if they are, how far along are they, and what are the implications?!
The first Sonic comics from IDW will hit stores in 2018.
- SEGA Releases New Footage Of 'Sonic Forces' Tag Team Mode
- A Trademark May Have Given Away The Next 'PoPoLoCrois' Title
- Phoenix Comic Fest is Asking a Federal Court to Strike Down SDCC’s Comic-Con Trademark - January 18, 2018
- Faith in U.S. Leadership Inextricably Linked to Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Gallup Poll Confirms - January 18, 2018
- X-Men: Bland Design – Deadpool vs. Old Man Logan #4 - January 18, 2018
- Greg Pak Wants to Change the Way We Preorder Comics - January 18, 2018
- Hubertus Rufledt and Helge Vogt’s Alisik Gets a Trailer Ahead of February Launch from Statix Press - January 18, 2018