Breaking out on twitter from various accounts, including the official Star Wars account and star John Boyega‘s twitter account, come a beautiful set of brand new Star Wars: The Last Jedi posters unveiled at the Disney D23 Expo in Anaheim.
First up, we have this one of new Jedi, the heroic and hard-working Rey (Daisy Ridley),
Next, Boyega shared a similarly designed poster featuring his character, former Stormtrooper Finn,
Finally, the Star Wars twitter shared this beautiful, strong but vulnerable, commanding and regal poster featuring the late Carrie Fisher in her role as General Leia Organa,
What is notable about these posters are the similar thematic links. All characters look serious, all are shrouded in red. None of them meet our eyes, as their eyes stand out of shot.
The red seems a strong theme in the film. The logo is itself obviously in the darker hue, but also several clips and the teaser trailer featured shots of red dirt or sand thrown up in a vibrant, very alien look.
Moreover, the feeling is that this movie is going to be a much darker entry into the Star Wars saga, and these posters certainly lend to that.
[UPDATE] Another poster has now been released, this time of Oscar Isaac‘s hot-show X-Wing pilot, Poe Dameron.
[UPDATE 2] Two more posters have been added to the set now, first up we have Mark Hamill‘s Luke Skywalker.
And lastly (for now), we have Adam Driver‘s Sith villain, Kylo Ren.
What is interesting about Kylo Ren’s poster is his is the only one so far who’s eye level falls within the frame of the poster. Granted, he still isn’t looking out at the viewer and ‘eye contact’ is not made, but if the rumours of a darker outing are true, could we be getting a greater understanding of the troubled Sith? Not fully meeting his gaze, but more insight into his thoughts and reasoning, perhaps?
After all, Carrie Fisher noted in the behind-the-scenes footage revealed at D23 that Star Wars is about family.
Star Wars: The Last Jedi is released December 15th, 2017, directed by Rian Johnson.The film’s synopsis so far reads simply,
The further adventures of Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill), Leia (Carrie Fisher) and Rey (Daisy Ridley)
- D23's Games Panel Kicks It Off With Battlefront II And The History Of Iden Versio
- "This Is A Real Game Changer" - Mark Hamill On Star Wars: The Last Jedi At #D23 (VIDEO)
- The Disney Movie Slate From 2017 Through To 2019 Is Insane #D23 (VISUAL UPDATE)
- JJ Abrams trolls Hasbro Hard Over Rey/Monopoly Fiasco
- 2017 Television Countdown #4: The Steven Universe Accidental Racism Apology - December 31, 2017
- Doomsday Clock Speculation: Is Doctor Manhattan Posing as a DC Superhero? - December 29, 2017
- Eugenic #3 Review: The Horror Ends with a Look at the Horrors of Ignorance - December 27, 2017
- Well, Does Anyone Like the ‘Jubilee is a Vampire’ Idea? - December 27, 2017
- A Major Unexpected Return in Today’s Spider-Men II #5 - December 27, 2017