This year marks the 35th anniversary of the horror classic by film legend John Carpenter, The Thing. The film, which starred Kurt Russel, Keith David, and Wilford Brimley, is easily among the most influential horror movies ever made and, alongside the equally influential Halloween and Escape from New York, helped launch John Carpenter’s directorial career into the mainstream.
The film was also a remake of a 1954 classic, Christian Nyby and Howard Hawkes’ The Thing from Another World, itself an adaptation of Who Goes There? by John W. Campbell Jr. Despite this and the general assumption of remakes, John Carpenter’s The Thing has managed to take a higher place in the public conscience than the Nyby and Hawkes’ film.
In commemoration of this momentous anniversary, publisher Printed in Blood is putting out an art book for the film for those attending San Diego Comic-Con. It contains art from such talents across the globe and the industries of comics, animation, fine art, and illustration. Some of the contributors are David Mack, Bill Sienkiewicz, Cat Staggs, Jim Calafiore, Dave Crosland, Jon Schnepp, and Frazer Irving, making for a gorgeously chilling lineup of Thing-inspired art pieces.
In addition, it will be containing a foreword by horror actor, director, and writer Eli Roth, as well as words from the man himself, John Carpenter, about his famed and beloved film.
This book can be found at the Aspen Comics booth #2320 at the San Diego Comic-Con this year. The book itself is $39.99, or you can purchase a variant edition with a slipcase and six additional art pieces for $79.99.
This film revolutionized body horror, practical effects, and the genre as a whole. With effects ingenuity from before the time of CGI, this film still looks beautifully macabre to this day. It holds its legendary place in the horror film genre for good reason, and this book will most certainly be a worthy collectible from the film.
- Troma, Dracula, Merlin, And Oz: Caliber February 2018 Solicits - November 24, 2017
- Disney Princess And Launch of Riftworld Legends: Joe Books February 2018 Solicits - November 24, 2017
- Collection Of ‘Killing And Dying’ And Moomin Graphic Novel: Drawn & Quarterly February 2018 Solicits - November 24, 2017
- Disney Descendants And Wall-E Manga: Tokyopop February 2018 Solicits - November 24, 2017
- New Titles ‘Battle Angel Alita Mars’ And ‘Again’: Kodansha February 2018 Solicits - November 24, 2017