JJ Abrams has now weighed in on the whole Star Wars The Force Awakens Monopoly game fiasco. Remember: all they had to do was not take Eighteen months to put out their “insufficient interest” statement and just put the game out for everyone to buy, like they said they would. Then, this sort of thing wouldn’t happen:
— Bad Robot (@bad_robot) July 14, 2017
Here is their statement from 2015 when Rey could not be found not only in the game, but was nowhere to be found on shelves in most areas when Force Awakens actually was in theaters:
“We love the passion fans have for Rey, and are happy to announce that we will be making a running change to include her in the Monopoly: Star Wars game available later this year,” Duffy told the AP in an emailed statement at the time. She added that fans who had already purchased the game “can obtain the Rey token by contacting Hasbro Consumer Care when the updated game becomes available later this year.”
Eighteen months later, without making the game available on store shelves in the US with the piece inside, this is what they had to say:
“In early 2016, Hasbro updated the 2015 Star Wars: Monopoly game to add a Rey token. This product was sold to retailers in several markets around the world, but is not available for sale in the U.S. due to insufficient interest”
As I said the other day: interest in Rey is at an all-time high, so the only way this statement makes sense or I would agree is if they mean nobody wants to ACTUALLY buy the game itself. But if that was the case, people would not be mad about this all right now would they? So, again, all they had to do was actually make the running change available. Then this all could have been avoided and people like JJ would not chime in.