Last night, Bleeding Cool ran news of a new DC character being introduced by Jai Nitz and Scot Eaton into the upcoming Suicide Squad: The Black Files #1 called Doctor Endless. A genderfluid character, their appearance and powers were based on the Endless from Neil Gaiman‘s Sandman.
Except, it seems, no one had thought to tell Neil Gaiman. Who has, as part of his deal with DC Comics over the series, has maintained the right of refusal as to how DC Comics exploit Sandman and characters created for the Sandman series. Which includes all the Endless aside from Destiny.
Cue a lot of running around and screaming after Bleeding Cool ran the piece last night and Neil Gaiman got wind of it. Expect the character to still appear, but to no longer be called Doctor Endless and all of the reference in text to be amended.
And while DC Comics may be rather pissed off with Bleeding Cool as a result, put it this way – this was a lot easier than having to pulp all the published issues if it had gone to print, as intended, next week.
- The Walking Dead #175 Lurches to the Top of Advance Reorders - December 15, 2017
- Pie, Mash, and Comic Shop Piecaramaba! Opens Second Store in Southampton - December 15, 2017
- Doomsday Clock Gets 1st and 2nd Place in November 2017 Charts as DC Sells More Comics, but Marvel Makes More Money - December 15, 2017
- Marvel Comics Teases Surprises for Venom’s 30th Anniversary - December 15, 2017
- What Will Fox/Disney Deal Mean for Firefly, Angel, Buffy, Aliens and Predator? - December 15, 2017