Last night, Bleeding Cool ran news of a new DC character being introduced by Jai Nitz and Scot Eaton into the upcoming Suicide Squad: The Black Files #1 called Doctor Endless. A genderfluid character, their appearance and powers were based on the Endless from Neil Gaiman‘s Sandman.
Except, it seems, no one had thought to tell Neil Gaiman. Who has, as part of his deal with DC Comics over the series, has maintained the right of refusal as to how DC Comics exploit Sandman and characters created for the Sandman series. Which includes all the Endless aside from Destiny.
Cue a lot of running around and screaming after Bleeding Cool ran the piece last night and Neil Gaiman got wind of it. Expect the character to still appear, but to no longer be called Doctor Endless and all of the reference in text to be amended.
And while DC Comics may be rather pissed off with Bleeding Cool as a result, put it this way – this was a lot easier than having to pulp all the published issues if it had gone to print, as intended, next week.
- A Very Fast Run Through the Sonic #1 WonderCon 2018 Variant - March 23, 2018
- More Action Comics #1000 Covers from Jim Lee, Olivier Coipel, Dave Dorman, and Felipe Massafera - March 23, 2018
- Marvel Uses Father’s Day to Promote Marvel Rising and Marvel Super Hero Adventures - March 23, 2018
- Sneak Peek at The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Tempest from WonderCon 2018 - March 23, 2018
- Only the First Printing of DC Nation #0 Will Be 25 Cents - March 23, 2018