Well, that’s news to a lot of people who are going to be both excited and angry at the same time. SwitchBrew found something interesting inside the firmware of the Nintendo Switch this week: an NES emulator, which they loaded up the data for everyone to check out on their site. The laymen’s version of all that technical data is that there is an emulator file called “flog” on the Nintendo Switch, not being used by any applications or games.
The stunning revelation to all this is that this is basically the same tech used in the NES Classic Edition, and most likely the Super NES Classic Edition. Which means if Nintendo wanted to, they could give everyone an app to purchase or download for free and give you all their games at the same quality as those systems on your Switch.
The tech itself isn’t all that impressive or exclusive, anyone who owns a Raspberry Pi could tell you they probably have an inferior system that can’t be updated with new hardware. But it does open the door for the eventual arrival of the Virtual Console, which many were surprised didn’t already come with the Nintendo Switch at launch, but we’re sure Nintendo will probably activate with some new funky name down the road.
You know what might be a good idea? Launching this upcoming service you’re not talking about with a proper version of Mother 3. But one can only hope.
- Nintendo To Put Super NES Classic Edition Up For Pre-Order In August
- 'Layton’s Mystery Journey' Gets An English Trailer
- EBay Thwarts Super NES Classic Edition Scalpers... For Now
- Nintendo To Release Their Switch Online App On July 21
- Nintendo Detailed Splatoon 2 In Today's Nintendo Direct
- There Is No "Game Over" In 'Super Mario Odyssey'
- A Splatoon 2 Nintendo Direct Is Coming Later This Week
- ‘Crimsonland’, ‘Apollo Justice’, & ‘Planet Of The Apes’ In Video Game Releases: November 21-27 - November 21, 2017
- Three Game Consoles Make Time’s “Gadget Of The Year” List - November 20, 2017
- Rare Set To Release Three Classic Game Soundtracks On Vinyl - November 20, 2017
- ‘Star Wars: Secrets Of The Empire’ Launching Soon At Disney - November 20, 2017
- Echo Fox Secures A Franchise Spot In The ‘League Of Legends’ Championship Series - November 20, 2017