Well, that’s news to a lot of people who are going to be both excited and angry at the same time. SwitchBrew found something interesting inside the firmware of the Nintendo Switch this week: an NES emulator, which they loaded up the data for everyone to check out on their site. The laymen’s version of all that technical data is that there is an emulator file called “flog” on the Nintendo Switch, not being used by any applications or games.
The stunning revelation to all this is that this is basically the same tech used in the NES Classic Edition, and most likely the Super NES Classic Edition. Which means if Nintendo wanted to, they could give everyone an app to purchase or download for free and give you all their games at the same quality as those systems on your Switch.
The tech itself isn’t all that impressive or exclusive, anyone who owns a Raspberry Pi could tell you they probably have an inferior system that can’t be updated with new hardware. But it does open the door for the eventual arrival of the Virtual Console, which many were surprised didn’t already come with the Nintendo Switch at launch, but we’re sure Nintendo will probably activate with some new funky name down the road.
You know what might be a good idea? Launching this upcoming service you’re not talking about with a proper version of Mother 3. But one can only hope.
- Nintendo To Put Super NES Classic Edition Up For Pre-Order In August
- 'Layton’s Mystery Journey' Gets An English Trailer
- EBay Thwarts Super NES Classic Edition Scalpers... For Now
- Nintendo To Release Their Switch Online App On July 21
- Nintendo Detailed Splatoon 2 In Today's Nintendo Direct
- There Is No "Game Over" In 'Super Mario Odyssey'
- A Splatoon 2 Nintendo Direct Is Coming Later This Week
- New Pokémon Job Listing Gives Hints to Nintendo Switch Game - March 16, 2018
- Sea Of Thieves Releases the Full List of Achievements - March 16, 2018
- Sonic Mania Plus Announced at SXSW with Physical Edition and New Characters - March 16, 2018
- Capcom Now Offering Character Editor Vouchers for Monster Hunter: World - March 16, 2018
- Nintendo Switch Sales Save Blossom Tales’ Devs from Shutting Down - March 16, 2018