If you’re making a Spider-Man movie, then you’re going to have to show him swinging about the city at one point or another. There are a couple of different ways to go about doing that and in an interview with Den of Geek director Jon Watts talked about how he decided to approach the web-slinging:
“Yeah, I wanted it to always be shot as if it was real, you know? If you actually had a Spider-Man who could do all of this stuff, you know, you would shoot it with actual equipment.
So, it’s really cool to do that [the swoopy camera]. I always call it the Peter Jackson camera moves, where the camera is going like ten thousand miles. But I didn’t want to do that for this, because I wanted to keep it all as grounded as possible. So, whether it was shooting with a drone camera or a helicopter or a cable-cam, or even just handheld, up on a roof chasing after him, I wanted it to feel like we were there with him, and everything was something you could actually film.”
That sounds like it would leave you feeling seasick, but it’s not nearly as bad at Watts makes it sound. They do try to make it feel like you’re there with Peter, but not to the point where you will feel ill. There is always the chance that it could alienate some people, but it’s not the vertigo effect people got from The Walk or the shaky cam effect of Cloverfield. It’s a neat little trick the movie uses sometimes.
Summary: Following the events of Captain America: Civil War (2016), Peter Parker attempts to balance his life in high school with his career as the web-slinging superhero Spider-Man.
Spider-Man: Homecoming stars Tom Holland, Robert Downey Jr., Marisa Tomei, Donald Glover, Zendaya, Tony Revolori, and Michael Keaton. Swing on down to your local theater and check it out on July 7th.
- Psychokinesis is the Next Big Movie from the Director of Train to Busan - January 16, 2018
- New Image from Mary Poppins Returns - January 16, 2018
- New Footage from A Wrinkle in Time, Plus a Behind-the-Scenes Featurette - January 16, 2018
- Each ‘Fantastic Beasts’ Sequel Will Take Place in a Different City, Plus New Images - January 16, 2018
- Solo: A Star Wars Story – Phoebe Waller-Bridge Says Ron Howard Made a “Beautiful” Film - January 16, 2018