STXfilms announced release dates for two their production according to Variety and one of them has been in development hell for years.
Aaron Sorkin, best known for his contributions to television you have watched before, made his drectorial debut at the Cannes Film Festival this year with a movie called Molly’s Game. It stars Jessica Chastain as Molly Bloom, the real life underground poker ringleader who wrote 2014’s “Molly’s Game: From Hollywood’s Elite to Wall Street’s Billionaire Boys Club, My High-Stakes Adventure in the World of Underground Poker.” The movie was bought during the festival for a cool $9 million dollars and has been given a November 22nd release date. That time of year is notorious for Oscar bait so STX might think they have an Oscar contender on their hands.
Molly’s Game also stars Idris Elba, Kevin Costner, Michael Cera, Jeremy Strong, Chris O’Dowd, and Bill Camp.
The other one is The Happytime Murders which we talked about back in May. The movie is a R-rated puppet comedy that has been in and out of production since 2008 but in the age of Deadpool and Logan studios are taking chances on smaller, niche appear movies with R-ratings. It doesn’t get much more niche than a murder mystery with a bunch of Jim Henson puppets.
STX must have liked the concept as they saved it from oblivion and brought Melissa McCarthy on to star. The story is by Todd Berger & Dee Robertson; while the screenplay is written by Berger with revisions by Erich & Jon Hoeber, and further revisions by McCarthy. STX must not have a ton of faith in the project though as they dumped it in the late summer; August 17, 2018.
The “dead zone” with movie releases gets smaller every year but August is not a time of year that’s has a good reputation. It’s the “too late in the summer for the big blockbusters but too early for any of the Oscar bait”. As previously stated this window gets smaller and smaller every year but mid August is still not a great sign.
- The Happytime Murders Review: Somehow Simultaneously Lazy and Trying Too Hard
- R-Rated Puppet Comedy 'The Happytime Murders' Gets A New Lead In Melissa McCarthy
- Lying In The Gutters - 19th March 2012
- Wednesday Trending Topics: X-Treme X-Men
- Concept Art For The Happytime Murders, The Puppet Film Noir From The Hensons
- Puppet Film Noir From Henson Co. Looks To Katherine Heigl For Its Humanity
- Cameron Diaz Offered Role In Adult Puppet Movie The Happytime Murders
- From Spider-Ham to Sinister Six Sony Isn’t Ruling Anything out for Future Movies - December 14, 2018
- First Details for the Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Sequel and Spin-Off are Confirmed - December 14, 2018
- Jason Momoa Comments on Henry Cavill and Ben Affleck Reportedly Leaving the DC Universe - December 13, 2018
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine Season 6: A New Promo and 17 New Cast and Promo Pictures - December 13, 2018
- Meet Spider-Man Noir in Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse in This New Clip - December 13, 2018