The Syfy network has been making some changes recently as the network celebrates it’s 25th anniversary. The re-branding started with a new black & yellow logo and a move back towards science fiction and fantasy. Series like the Magicians, Dark Matter and Killjoys will be more of the networks focus. They picked up Krypton, getting into the Super Hero movement with a pre-Superman series and Happy!, the story about a cop turned hitman with a talking blue-winged horse. They’re also working on projects involving George R. R. Martin’s Nightflyers and Robert Heinlein’s Stranger in a Strange Land.
This morning they released a new commercial / video called, It’s A Fan Thing. It is a simple enough thing that talks about the love of science fiction and how that brings us all together. But at the same time, it’s a pretty remarkable concept to push forward in such a divisive time. A reminder that we are more than just how we look and how something as simple as a love of zombies, Robots, aliens or super heroes could bring us together.
In the early days of science fiction, it wasn’t all dystopian futures and extinction events. It showcased what man might achieve over time and how we can come together if we put prejudice and greed aside. It’s the message Gene Roddenberry laid out in Star Trek, the very foundation of the Federation. Science Fiction was about hope and wonder. Things dreamed up in the writer’s mind that could and in many cases have become modern technology. Instead of being divided by our differences, we should be united by the things we love and that’s a pretty amazing message for a television network to put out there.
- Read The Sovereigns #0 Free from Dynamite’s 2017 Blockbuster Holiday Bundle - December 13, 2017
- The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon Does Peanuts in the Style of Riverdale - December 13, 2017
- Marvel’s Luke Cage Season 1: Looking at Mahershala Ali’s Cottonmouth - December 13, 2017
- Writer’s Commentary: Shawn Aldridge Talks Hack/Slash Vs. Vampirella #3 - December 13, 2017
- Arrow Season 6: When and Why Roy Harper / Arsenal Returns - December 13, 2017