Tensions appear to be rising between comic book publisher DC Comics and KISS founder Gene Simmons as DC plans to launch its big super-mega-crossover event, Dark Nights: Metal. The point of contention is artist Greg Capullo’s cover for the event, revealed by writer Scott Snyder on Twitter:
Got the ok from DC to tweet this crazy early as a thanks, so
Cover to METAL #1
Aug. The Dark Multiverse invades. Now let's melt some faces pic.twitter.com/A6psc18Igi
— Scott Snyder (@Ssnyder1835) June 16, 2017
According to Capullo, he had to “fight DC” for the cover (just as he and Snyder once bravely fought against Batman price hikes):
Thanks, brother. I had to fight DC over this cover. 🤘🏻✏️🤘🏻 https://t.co/S7QaasEAYB
— Greg Capullo (@GregCapullo) June 16, 2017
It wasn’t long before fans uncovered the source of the strife:
— Clayton James (CJ) (@SuperHeroSwmr) June 16, 2017
So why would DC have a problem with that? The obvious answer is that they don’t want to be sued by Simmons, who recently filed trademark over the devil horns hand gesture, despite not actually inventing it, raising the ire of the widow of Ronnie James Dio and pretty much anyone on the planet with common sense. Of course, Simmons’ trademark actually appears to be for the Spider-Man “thwipp” gesture, with the thumb extended, instead of the more traditional closed-thumb gesture that one would flash while shrieking in a high pitched wail, “rock n’ ****ing roll!”
That being said, DC Comics once lost their logo to a sneaker company because they’re so bad at lawsuits. So they’re probably just being overly cautious. In any case, it looks like they gave Capullo the go-ahead.
Dark Nights: Metal hits stores in August.
- Some Reading Material Ahead Of Tonight's 'Dark Days: The Forge #1'
- 'Dark Days: The Forge #1' Turns Batman Into The World's Greatest Geologist (SPOILERS)
- Will DC's Dark Nights: Metal Catch A Digital Code?
- Dark Nights: Metal To Get Exclusive Retailer Variants
- Scott Snyder Explains "Dark Nights: Metal," DC's Dark Multiverse, Life, The Universe, And Everything
- Lip Sync Battle Loss to Triple H and Stephanie McMahon Forces Jimmy Fallon to Appear at WWE Raw 25 - January 19, 2018
- EXCLUSSSIVE: Are These Script Excerpts from the First Draft of Brian Michael Bendis’s Action Comics #1000 Story? - January 19, 2018
- Abnett and Culbard’s Wild’s End Returns to BOOM! for Journey’s End OGN - January 19, 2018
- Superman Finally Gets His Red Underwear Back in Action Comics #1000 - January 19, 2018
- Justice League Blu-Ray to Contain Bonus Scenes, Keeping Hope Alive for Snyder Cut - January 19, 2018