Fanboy heartthrob Nathan Fillion is angling for a job in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Fillion appeared in a cameo in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 as Simon Williams, but the cameo was canceled, with the scene deleted from the film. But if you don’t succeed, try, try again, as Fillion, best known for his role in the ill-fated Joss Whedon space Western Firefly, understands well. After Firefly’s premature demise, the show’s hardcore fans, who call themselves Firebronies, have lobbied for a decade and a half to bring it back for a second season, even at one point attempting to purchase the rights and gift them to Fillion. With that spirit in mind, Fillion still has hopes that he can play Wonder Man on the big screen, as he revealed in a radio interview picked up by ScreenRant.
If you know the Marvel Universe, Simon Williams becomes Wonder Man, becomes an Avenger. So, he’s part of that universe. It was a neat little Easter egg, it was a neat little piece of the universe. It didn’t get into the movie. That’s fine. That happens all the time. I still had the same wonderful experience. But moving forward, I don’t know, let me see what we can do with this opportunity. That’s just a cleverly disguised opportunity. Am I right?
That’s the kind of optimistic demeanor that has kept the Firebronies loyal to Fillion for more than a decade, and with the support of major MCU player James Gunn, it could carry him into a role in Avengers: Untitled Infinity War Sequel and beyond. They’re still never bringing Firefly back, though.
- Doctor Horrible And Captain Hammer Reunite As Nathan Fillion Joins Netflix's Series Of Unfortunate Events
- James Gunn Explains Nathan Fillion's Deleted Easter Egg In 'Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2'
- Report: Fox Is Actually Considering Bringing Back Firefly, For Real This Time, We Promise
- Firefly Reunion Panel From LBCC 2016
- Chilling Adventures Of… Sorcery?! And Cosmo #1 In The Archie January 2018 Solicitations - October 17, 2017
- Se7en Screenwriter Signs On To Justin Lin’s ‘Lone Wolf And Cub’ Movie At Paramount - October 17, 2017
- X-Men’s Blink Gets A Physics-Defying New Costume On Cable #153 Cover - October 17, 2017
- Buy Marvel Legacy #1 With Some Extra Bonus Content For $40 This January - October 17, 2017
- What If… Kieron Gillen Had Continued To Write The X-Men - October 17, 2017