Fanboy heartthrob Nathan Fillion is angling for a job in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Fillion appeared in a cameo in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 as Simon Williams, but the cameo was canceled, with the scene deleted from the film. But if you don’t succeed, try, try again, as Fillion, best known for his role in the ill-fated Joss Whedon space Western Firefly, understands well. After Firefly’s premature demise, the show’s hardcore fans, who call themselves Firebronies, have lobbied for a decade and a half to bring it back for a second season, even at one point attempting to purchase the rights and gift them to Fillion. With that spirit in mind, Fillion still has hopes that he can play Wonder Man on the big screen, as he revealed in a radio interview picked up by ScreenRant.
If you know the Marvel Universe, Simon Williams becomes Wonder Man, becomes an Avenger. So, he’s part of that universe. It was a neat little Easter egg, it was a neat little piece of the universe. It didn’t get into the movie. That’s fine. That happens all the time. I still had the same wonderful experience. But moving forward, I don’t know, let me see what we can do with this opportunity. That’s just a cleverly disguised opportunity. Am I right?
That’s the kind of optimistic demeanor that has kept the Firebronies loyal to Fillion for more than a decade, and with the support of major MCU player James Gunn, it could carry him into a role in Avengers: Untitled Infinity War Sequel and beyond. They’re still never bringing Firefly back, though.
- Doctor Horrible And Captain Hammer Reunite As Nathan Fillion Joins Netflix's Series Of Unfortunate Events
- James Gunn Explains Nathan Fillion's Deleted Easter Egg In 'Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2'
- Report: Fox Is Actually Considering Bringing Back Firefly, For Real This Time, We Promise
- Firefly Reunion Panel From LBCC 2016
- Michael Che and Colin Jost Promoted to Co-Head Writers of Saturday Night Live - December 12, 2017
- BOOM! to Publish ‘Adventure Time: BMO Bonanza’ One-Shot in March - December 12, 2017
- Hope Summers Returns in Cable #155 with New Creative Team of Zac Thompson, Lonnie Nadler, German Peralta - December 12, 2017
- 4 Mark Brooks Covers for Avengers: No Surrender in March, Plus Nick Bradshaw’s February Variants - December 12, 2017
- Vault Renames ‘Return of the Graveyard Gang’ to ‘Return to Whisper’ in Deference to Webcomic - December 12, 2017