Wonder Woman director Patty Jenkins gave an interview to CBS This Morning co-host Alex Wagner, and one of the topics that came up was criticism of Wonder Woman’s costume, particularly from the perspective that the outfit too “sexy” or “skimpy” for Wonder Woman to be considered a “feminist icon.” Jenkins didn’t mince words:
“I think that that’s sexist. I think it’s sexist to say you can’t have both. I have to ask myself what I would apply to any other superhero. This is fantasy and it’s not for anyone other than the person having the fantasy. I, as a little girl, took a huge amount of delight in the idea that for my power and my ability to stop that bully on that playground, I could also look like Lynda Carter while I was doing it.”
Earlier this month, star Gal Gadot had a similar response to a similar question:
“I think as a feminist, you should be able to wear whatever you like! In any case, there is such a misunderstanding of the concept. Feminism is about equality and choice and freedom. And the writers, Patty and myself all figured that the best way to show that is to show Diana as having no awareness of social roles. She has no gender boundaries. To her, everyone is equal.”
Wonder Woman hits theaters NEXT WEEKEND!
- Bleeding Cool Reviews 'Wonder Woman': It's Good But We Have Concerns
- Can The Directors Of Wonder Woman And Doctor Strange Bring An End To The Marvel Vs. DC War?
- Diana Takes Her Sword Everywhere In New Wonder Woman Clip
- Why Wonder Woman Is Important; "Men Are Not All That Smart," According To Chris Pine
- Alamo Drafthouse Announces Women-Only 'Wonder Woman' Screening And Men React Predictably
- Wonder Woman Star Gal Gadot To Costume Critics: "As A Feminist, You Should Be Able To Wear Whatever You Like"
- Iceman Gets an Uncanny X-Men: Winter’s End One-Shot in February - November 16, 2018
- Former WWE Star Enzo Amore Kicked Off Plane for Vaping - November 15, 2018
- Bolt Thrower, Pantera, and Yngwie Malmsteen Albums Homaged in Latest Murder Falcon Variants - November 15, 2018
- Cyclops and Wolverine are the Last X-Men in Uncanny X-Men #12 - November 15, 2018
- Pak and Milonogiannis Explore Post-Apocalyptic Samurai in Ronin Island in March - November 15, 2018