In a night filled with more than one shock, writer’s of Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD made a subtle political statement that some may have missed. I will go over the full episode shortly, but right now I just want to address the comment.
During the episode, Fitz (Iain De Caestecker) interrogated and beat Daisy (Chloe Bennet) trying to get the location of SHIELD out of her. She gave up nothing, sticking to her story / the truth. Fitz then reports to Madam Hydra (Mallory Jansen) and used the following line:
She was beating within an inch of her life. Nevertheless, she persisted.
This was a nod to the moment when Senator Elizabeth Warren was silenced during the debates over Attorney General nominee Jeff Sessions. After she was silence, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell tried to explain his actions thus:
She had appeared to violate the rule. She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.
The phrase “Nevertheless, she persisted” has become a rallying cry for Warren, the anti-Trump movement and became a hashtag used to indicate strong women. This subtle nod is interesting with Ike Perlmutter of Marvel Comics being an adviser to President Trump.
More on the episode in a little bit.
- The Agents Of SHIELD Reveal The Truth About Hydra
- The Dolphins Sign Rey Maualuga To Help Depleted Linebacker Corps - August 19, 2017
- Betty & Veronica: Vixens Lead The Archie Comics November 2017 Solicitations - August 19, 2017
- Game Night – Playing The Dresden Files Cooperative Card Game - August 19, 2017
- Winter Is Here – Game Of Thrones Inspired Christmas Trees - August 19, 2017
- President Donald Trump To Skip The Kennedy Center Honors - August 19, 2017