Grass Kings #1 sold out the day of release – and there is no second print coming because Boom! Studios say they want to focus support on growing a readership for individual issues.
I think they mean speculators.
Grass Kings sold 160% of Kindt’s previous launch from Dark Horse, Dept. H. And 300% of Kindt’s earlier Dark Horse creator-owned series Mind MGMT.
BOOM! has been on a bit of a sales run as of late. Power of the Dark Crystal #1 sold over 22,000 copies. WWE, which has been unsuccessfully published all around for 25 years, launched #1 over 28,000. Planet of the Apes/Green Lantern came in over 26,000.
That should mean plenty of copies of Grass Kings available, right? Seems not.
It’s become more common for Image Comics to have a hot series like this blow up on the back issue market – but sales have been known to cool when the first tradepaperback ships with a licketysplit schedule. Boom! has, however, chosen to push the first collection back, to support the… okay, let;s call them the collectible market.
And whe it eventually gets published, rather than a cheapo cheapo $10 first volume, Boom! prefers oversized premium hardcovers, like Klaus, shipping in February next year. Which means that the only place for anyone to read the story until then — will be in the first print of issue #1.
Expect demand to clean out copies of #2 as well, which I’m told has a locked print run already gone to the printer.
- The Full DC Comics Catalog for February 2019 – Going Young - November 19, 2018
- Will Heroes In Crisis #6 Feature Oculus Rift or Playstation VR? - November 19, 2018
- DC Comics Cancels Dan DiDio and Kenneth Rocafort’s Sideways - November 19, 2018
- Lion Forge to Translate and Expand Palle Schmidt’s Crime Thriller, Stiletto - November 19, 2018
- The Man Who Reinvented Flintstones and Snagglepuss Does the Same For Red Sonja - November 19, 2018