Surpassing expectations by tens of millions of dollars, Disney’s Beauty and the Beast earned over $170 million this weekend, making it at least the seventh biggest opening of all time, though we’ll have to wait for final numbers to see if it can top Iron Man 3’s $174 million take. As predicted, Beauty and the Beast has taken Batman v. Superman’s crown as the biggest March opening of all time, and the domestic box office take makes it Disney’s biggest live-action release (not counting Marvel or Lucasfilm movies) ever, according to a report from the Los Angeles Times. It’s also the biggest opening starring Emma Watson, as it tops Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2’s $169 million take. Global box office take pushes Beauty and the Beast to more than $350 million so far, and it’s expected to make over a billion by the time all is said and done. Only Star Wars: The Force Awakens has a biggest box office opening that didn’t occur during the Summer season.
Kong: Skull Island and Logan, both number one movies in their openings, took the second and third spots this weekend, bringing their global totals to $259 million and $500 million respectively. Get Out continued to perform well as the number four movie this weekend, followed by The Shack and Lego Batman Movie. The Guardians of the Galaxy director James Gunn written The Belko Experiment, having the rather unfortunate distinction of opening this weekend against Beauty and the Beast, and earned just $4.1 million to take seventh place, but with a budget of just $5 million, that’s not too shabby.
- Hulk Hogan Wants to Return to WWE… As Velveteen Dream’s Manager? - June 21, 2018
- Report: Big Cass Fired for Bad Promos, Bad Wrestling, Bad Listening Skills, and Bad Bathroom Behavior - June 21, 2018
- WWE’s Sami Zayn Tore 2 Rotator Cuffs, Will Be Out Until 2019 - June 21, 2018
- First Look at The Thrilling Adventure Hour #1 by Bens Acker and Blacker, M.J. Erickson - June 21, 2018
- Behold: Nathan Fox’s Limited Edition Wraparound Variant for The Weatherman #2 - June 21, 2018