Surpassing expectations by tens of millions of dollars, Disney’s Beauty and the Beast earned over $170 million this weekend, making it at least the seventh biggest opening of all time, though we’ll have to wait for final numbers to see if it can top Iron Man 3’s $174 million take. As predicted, Beauty and the Beast has taken Batman v. Superman’s crown as the biggest March opening of all time, and the domestic box office take makes it Disney’s biggest live-action release (not counting Marvel or Lucasfilm movies) ever, according to a report from the Los Angeles Times. It’s also the biggest opening starring Emma Watson, as it tops Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2’s $169 million take. Global box office take pushes Beauty and the Beast to more than $350 million so far, and it’s expected to make over a billion by the time all is said and done. Only Star Wars: The Force Awakens has a biggest box office opening that didn’t occur during the Summer season.
Kong: Skull Island and Logan, both number one movies in their openings, took the second and third spots this weekend, bringing their global totals to $259 million and $500 million respectively. Get Out continued to perform well as the number four movie this weekend, followed by The Shack and Lego Batman Movie. The Guardians of the Galaxy director James Gunn written The Belko Experiment, having the rather unfortunate distinction of opening this weekend against Beauty and the Beast, and earned just $4.1 million to take seventh place, but with a budget of just $5 million, that’s not too shabby.
- Greg Pak And Corey Smith Experiment With Weapon H Ongoing From Marvel In March - November 21, 2017
- Marvel To Put Captain America Back In The Ice In February - November 21, 2017
- Over 1/3 Of All Donations To Trump Foundation In 2016 Came From Ike And Laura Perlmutter - November 21, 2017
- Knox County Mayoral Candidate Glenn Jacobs Takes More Time Off Campaign To Assault Braun Strowman - November 21, 2017
- Free Of Alberto El Patron, Paige Makes Big Impact On Return To WWE Raw - November 21, 2017